• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pan plug?

ericp351

Hi all,
I noticed the oil pan on my m925a2 has an additional oil drain plug on the side of the oil pan above the drain. I just wondered what it might be for. Is this a good place to put in an aftermarket oil heater? If so, is there a recommended brand or type that works on these rigs? It might be in the area of the oil pickup but I'm not sure. Thanks for any info!

ericp351

Thanks. I should have taken plug to parts store last oil change to match up threads. A oil heater may be money well spent.

74M35A2

Looked it up for you and all. NAPA p/n 30910, mfg by Kat, $68.49. Short stainless immersion heater with cord.

http://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KAT30910

Starter on the 8.3L is way oversized to begin with (same starter used on the Cummins 855 based NHC 250, just different pinion), so it can crank well even in cold temps, as long as batteries are healthy. Oil heater will not really warm the engine much for better starting because this heat just sits below the oil pan gasket, but it will allow the engine to develop oil pressure much faster after initial engine start up. Will also reduce condensation which can form inside the engine if the engine is only run a short time after the cold start.

Additional info:

For best success cold starting an 8.3L, below are my personal recommendations, in order of priority:

1. Make sure your fuel system is air-tight on the suction side. Filters, hoses, lift pump, tank dip tube, fittings, etc, are clean, new, and tight.

2. Be sure your batteries are up to snuff. This means they are less than 5 years old and test at least to their rated CCA value (load test with a test result value, not just "passed", or measure internal resistance which calculates actual CCA remaining vs labeled value).

3. Though many are against it, the stock ether system works great on these trucks. It can even compensate for weak #1 and #2 above, but should not be used for those reasons. I try not to use it, and can tell in the first 5 seconds of cranking if going to be needed. I use it based on whether I feel the engine will start or not within a 30 second window of using the starter (starter use limit before 2 minute break to repeat). If the engine is not beginning to kick off on several cylinders by 10 seconds of cranking, I will hit ether while cranking (the only way this system works anyway).

4. Fuel is winter type diesel, meaning it has anti-gel in it. I have not personally had an issue with waxing, even using summer fuel in winter, but still good to try and be attentive about it if you want your truck to start reliably on no notice in the winter. I did have ice plug my large frame mounted primary filter because I left my tank level sending unit out for a while, uncovered, and snow fell into fuel tank. My fault, and filters did their job. Removed them, defrosted, poured water out, refilled them with diesel, all set.

Last edited:

ericp351

Thank you very much. I was looking a lot into possibly getting one for my 5 ton. I wasn't sure if there were any issues with the oil pickup being in the way or the threads on the pan, but now I'll stop by a NAPA sometime soon. Thanks again!

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Though many are against it, the stock ether system works great on these trucks. It can even compensate for weak #1 and #2 above, but should not be used for those reasons. I try not to use it, and can tell in the first 5 seconds of cranking if going to be needed. I use it based on whether I feel the engine will start or not within a 30 second window of using the starter (starter use limit before 2 minute break to repeat). If the engine is not beginning to kick off on several cylinders by 10 seconds of cranking, I will hit ether while cranking (the only way this system works anyway).
I used to be staunchly "anti-ether", but I like the Quick-Start system on my HEMTT. The procedure is a little different... You do it before cranking, not during. Push the button on the dash for 1 second, and when you release it, it puts 2cc of ether into the air intake pipe. You're supposed to wait a few seconds for it to disperse before cranking. In winter I usually crank until I get oil pressure, then stop and hit the ether button... It then starts as though it was a sunny summer day. The most amazing thing to me is how effective it is for how little the 2cc shot of ether is... I disconnected the hose and pushed the button so I could see it, and I immediately realized that pretty much everyone uses WAY too much!

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks