• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pans

Westech

CPL
so what happens when you flex the springs? does the arm go in to the engine? I think you need to rethink your steering set up. If its going to hit the pan something is not correct.

Sounds like you are opening a whole new can of worms. that oil pan does not have a whole lot of extra swing room on the inside, as I'm sure you realize, but to start cutting and welding on one to clear x-over steering is not something I would want to tackle. I have x-over steering on one of my M1008s with 52" springs mounted up front that came out of the rear of one of my M1009s. They have a lot of flex, and the only thing I had to mod was the cross member of the frame. Anyway, good luck with that. You'll have to let us know how it works out for U...

Cucvnut

so what happens when you flex the springs? does the arm go in to the engine? I think you need to rethink your steering set up. If its going to hit the pan something is not correct.

the way the spring are with the zero rates the highsteer arm not the steering arm hit the front of the pan a little bit. there is nothing wrong with my steering.

Cucvnut

Sounds like you are opening a whole new can of worms. that oil pan does not have a whole lot of extra swing room on the inside, as I'm sure you realize, but to start cutting and welding on one to clear x-over steering is not something I would want to tackle. I have x-over steering on one of my M1008s with 52" springs mounted up front that came out of the rear of one of my M1009s. They have a lot of flex, and the only thing I had to mod was the cross member of the frame. Anyway, good luck with that. You'll have to let us know how it works out for U...

its not cross over i have that all ready i dont think you understand what i am talking about. high steer is where the drag link goes behind the axle and the tie rod is still in the normal spot of the cross over steering set up. if thats something you dont want to takle thats fine. but me on the other hand thats why i am looking for a spare oil pan so i can mock it up befor i start cutting mine up.

its not cross over i have that all ready i dont think you understand what i am talking about. high steer is where the drag link goes behind the axle and the tie rod is still in the normal spot of the cross over steering set up. if thats something you dont want to takle thats fine. but me on the other hand thats why i am looking for a spare oil pan so i can mock it up befor i start cutting mine up.
I thought High-steer was where you removed the tie rod from being low and in front of the axle to going in front of the steering arms by using high-steer arms with a single hole on the driver's side and two holes on the passenger side. Here is a link to a typical kit: D60 high steer kit for kingpin axles
It looks to me like you have the normal x-over steering like me.

rnd-motorsports

what you have in the pics is crossover steering the arm from the pitman now goes to the pass side to the aftermarket braket bolted to the upper king pin cap also called high steering but you have replaced the zero rate springs were you are haveing the problem is when the front end articulates I went with hydro steering on my off road truck the crossover steering puts Alot of load on the spring shackle bushings so you will want to keep an eye on them #1 rear pass side the bushing in the frame replace alot of them with your set up good luck! the problem I see with your set up is the tie rod arm you used. Should have a step in it to go across to the pass side see my pic this also helps with bump steer another issue!

Changing the cross over rod may just fix the problem you are having !

Attachments

Last edited:

Cucvnut

Ihave the high steer kit I jsut have cross over for now.. the hi steer kit hits the 6.2 oil pan which is bigger than a BBc or a SBC. I have the kit from WFO concepts I am just useing the single arm right now not the double arm. I have hydro assist steering full hydro assist steering is not street legal. i dont have any issue with the way it is now. i have an issue with the rear high steer arm thats not in stalled yet hitting the oil pan because the 6.2 is abigger pan. i just want a used oil pan thats all.

Attachments

rnd-motorsports

Now that your hole Idea is out it makes all the sence in the world Problem you will find with modifying oil pan is the oil pump pickup not alot of room to change the sump and not have pickup problems I know you already have the arms but maybe easyer to get dif arms to keep the hy steer arm and cross over arm in front you would only need the pass side with double holes and put the one already on pass side onto the driver side good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks