• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oils

rustystud

Well it appears that a number of people here still have trouble believing in adding an oil additive to the deuce engine oil. Several people have contacted me with questions again.

This time I talked with my best friend who also is a master mechanic (we both went to trade school together and took our "ASE" certifications together also) and has been an "owner/operator" of a service station in Ballard for the last 40 years. He gave me this report from the "Auto Services Operator Magazine" dated 6-28-2004.

In it, it talks about "backwards" compatibility with older engines. The problem is the modern GF-4 oils only have to meet 2005 specifications and the oldest engines tested where from 1990. Well that leaves out a whole lot of "tappet" cam engines doesn't it. According to my friend the whole thing revolves around money.

Who is liable for damages. That is why you will not find any vehicle manufacturer talking bad about the new oils. They do not want the liability. Also the oil companies will not come out and say the older engines need a supplement to their oils. They don't want the liability. So who gets hurt here ? We do, the owners of these older engines. That is why there is so many companies selling "phosphorus and sulfur and Zinc" additives. That is also why the cam manufacturer's recommend their "Zinc" rich additives.

I posted an additive recommended by "Crane Cams" earlier this week. Right now there is a major campaign to call into doubt all these "rumors" and "myths" about GF-4 engine oils not meeting the needs of older engines. Their saying if you believe in adding additives your basically a fool.

These people are not our friends.

It all comes from liability (money). Who is going to pay. If people found out the truth there would be a lot more lawsuits. All the oil companies need is more time.

Pretty soon all these older engines will be gone and they will have no more worries. So now hopefully we can finally put this issue to bed (or bury it) once and for all.

View attachment Scan0215.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Classicjunky

Thanks for the info. With that said, what oil additives are recommended for our old deuce engines. Being that I am an AMSOIL dealer, I will check on their reccomendation. If I find a suitable additive and/or truly backward compatible oil I will try it in my deuce post the results and provide info on the formulas that are offered. I'm not trying to solicit any products in any way just providing info and possible solution to the shortcomings of some of the modern oils.

rustystud

Thanks for the info. With that said, what oil additives are recommended for our old deuce engines. Being that I am an AMSOIL dealer, I will check on their reccomendation. If I find a suitable additive and/or truly backward compatible oil I will try it in my deuce post the results and provide info on the formulas that are offered. I'm not trying to solicit any products in any way just providing info and possible solution to the shortcomings of some of the modern oils.
I've used several like "ZDDP" and others that have zinc and sulfur. I usually go with the cheapest price as they all have about the same amount of product. You can actually go overboard with the zinc. It really doesn't take much to help the cam.

Welder1

Greg,

I agree with your opinion on the ZDDP addition. I use that in my trucks that have flat tappet cams. I was wondering about some of the newer lubricant additives such as Archoil and others that use the term Nano lubricants. I am not sure what exactly they are. The technical data is sometimes misleading or taken out of context. I do think there may be some benefit from them. I use a wheel bearing grease made by Castrol called Optimal and its a high end industrial grease we use on our papermachines. It has worked well for wheel bearing grease but its expensive. I got a 5 gallon pail as surplus from work. Let me know your thoughts on other additives. Thanks.

Eddie

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pat, I'd like to buy a paragraph for $50.

(RS, I hope you aren't offended that I broke it up a little for legibility.)

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that AMSOIL offers better oils for older engines, as well as additives, while reading through their latest newsletter. This has been a bit of a popular topic on a couple of the Dodge-Cummins forums I belong to as well.

This very topic came to mind when I checked 4 different popular chain-store auto parts outlets for low-silicate coolant; they carried none and not one of their employees had any idea what I was trying to refer to. Thank God for NAPA.

rustystud

Greg,

I agree with your opinion on the ZDDP addition. I use that in my trucks that have flat tappet cams. I was wondering about some of the newer lubricant additives such as Archoil and others that use the term Nano lubricants. I am not sure what exactly they are. The technical data is sometimes misleading or taken out of context. I do think there may be some benefit from them. I use a wheel bearing grease made by Castrol called Optimal and its a high end industrial grease we use on our papermachines. It has worked well for wheel bearing grease but its expensive. I got a 5 gallon pail as surplus from work. Let me know your thoughts on other additives. Thanks.

Eddie
I haven't had any experience with these new "nano" additives. So I cannot give you my opinion on them. Sorry about that.
Maybe one of the engineers on this site can enlighten us. I know there are several that are "Chemical" engineers here.
After rereading that I can see some "moderator" thinking I'm blasting people. I'm as serious as an heart attack here. I know for a fact that there are several engineers on this site. I've talked with them.

Last edited:

rustystud

I noticed that AMSOIL offers better oils for older engines, as well as additives, while reading through their latest newsletter. This has been a bit of a popular topic on a couple of the Dodge-Cummins forums I belong to as well.

This very topic came to mind when I checked 4 different popular chain-store auto parts outlets for low-silicate coolant; they carried none and not one of their employees had any idea what I was trying to refer to. Thank God for NAPA.
I like NAPA also. The problem here is the employees at the local store are lazy idiots! Several times I had to look-up the part myself. I have to go to the next town to get competent help ! Now the other store has been hiring high school kids and letting go the older more knowledgeable people ! I've been forced to use sites like "RockAuto.com" for most of my stuff now.

dmetalmiki

I had a really bad knocking and clunking from the transfer case on my 5 ton M54A2. Bought another faulty unit and a new syncro assembly, But first added Molislip for the original gearbox and axles. The treatment eliminated the knocks!..I added Molislip treatment to the engine. It quietened the engine, AND it runs a whole lot smoother..So, The treatments worked on my truck. (Trucks now, all of them!). My 1/2 penne'th.

rustystud

I had a really bad knocking and clunking from the transfer case on my 5 ton M54A2. Bought another faulty unit and a new syncro assembly, But first added Molislip for the original gearbox and axles. The treatment eliminated the knocks!..I added Molislip treatment to the engine. It quietened the engine, AND it runs a whole lot smoother..So, The treatments worked on my truck. (Trucks now, all of them!). My 1/2 penne'th.
Now I have actually heard of "molyslip" before. It's suppose to be a high lubricity additive. All the people that I know who have used it, have said it's a great product.

Tonight I researched "molyslip" a bit and found it has a lot of people who think it is garbage. So I don't know what to say about it now. I did find a "youtube" video with Jay Leno talking about
"Archoil" . It is made from "Boron" and can be used in older engines replacing the "zinc" additives. Again I don't know enough about this additive to say if it's good or bad.
So at this time I will just stick with the zinc rich additives for now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks