• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

on board Air pressure question

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
I have a couple questions for you wizards of the wheeled wonder the M35A2.

1. What is the air pressure generated by the onboard air system
2. Is the delivery air pressure the same from the port under the dash on the passenger side of the truck as it is at the emergency glad hand at the rear

My reasons for asking this is I have a very convenient air chuck in the cab and all my air hoses hook to it just wondering if it is regulated in line as I would like to use this port to fill tires ect.

I have the military issue air thingy for the tires with the glass gauge on it but the gage seems to be off about 15 lbs are those adjustable or re calibrateable

Lastly if using to fill tires should the engine be running as I am guessing the air in the tanks will deplete fast.
Thanks Jerry

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, both ports in Q. get the same full pressure, should be modulating from 100-120psi, non regulated. 90-120 is still normal, mostly depending on the type of press. regulator and its setting.
Air tanks are rather smallish so the engine should be running (around 1500rpm) if you wanted more than just increase TP of one stock tire from let's say 45 to 55psi.

G.

Barrman

The M35 air system as a source is more a matter of volume/flow than psi. The under dash line is smaller than the glad hand line at the back. If you use 1/2 or bigger air fittings and hoses, then the rear source will do stuff faster. 3/8" line and the source under the dash will be a little slower.
That make sense?

Reactions: emr

badgmc56

The air chucks with the lever to hold them on are a great idea. Just don't walk away with the tire filling up or you might hear a KA-BOOM!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to be a great way to equalize pressure too. Am I correct?

Would a four-point or six-point "squid" be worthwhile?
Yes, it does equalize the pressures between the two tires.

When constructing the "squid", don't use a Schrader valve at the input, that would nullify the concept, use a quick connect air coupling plus a shut-off valve to provide full pressure at both tires.

Four or six point? Depends on the capacity of your compressor....

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the gladhand at the rear is fed with 3/8" copper line, as is the port on the right of the dash. i boubt you will fand any difference since they are about the same relative distance from tanks.

rmgill

I have a pressure regulator added to the air line fitting on the glad hand. A Quick disconnect is on there too. I can set the PSI, snap on a valve stem chuck and start it airing up while I walk away. I usually adjust it up by 10 psi to account for the pressure drop through the system.

emr

I have a pressure regulator added to the air line fitting on the glad hand. A Quick disconnect is on there too. I can set the PSI, snap on a valve stem chuck and start it airing up while I walk away. I usually adjust it up by 10 psi to account for the pressure drop through the system.
That is something i have not done yet, Glad i read your post, as for the line, Yes on useing the 3/8 quick connects that is all I use at my shop with at least 3/8 hose. I have a 3/4 pipe at the end of my manifold set up with my quick connect valves, and have a 1.25 air hose on it with a hose clamp so not to reduce air volume, and have to live with the 3/8s to the tire valve to the truck vale, but have to say since i have set this up airing up my 14:20s is cut if more than half...I have set up the glad handle off the truck with no obstruction untill the 3/8s connector to the tool or air valve I want to use, it is good sense not to use 1/4 inch connectors, as a Carpenter I use 1/4 inch at work because I just would not lift a tool with any at all unneeded extra weight or bulk, but when it comes to wanting air, a few minutes of thought sure go along way...good post...

emr

The M35 air system as a source is more a matter of volume/flow than psi. The under dash line is smaller than the glad hand line at the back. If you use 1/2 or bigger air fittings and hoses, then the rear source will do stuff faster. 3/8" line and the source under the dash will be a little slower.
That make sense?
it makes all the sense in the world, it is imortant to have the max volume available.

tm america

i want to make me up up a dual tire filler what was that post called that had the details on this.bjorn maybe you could make some up to sell at a reasonable price:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks