• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One stuck glow plug

spoort1

Well, my m1008 wasnt firing up after multiple attempts. I didnt want to burn up the starter so I ordered new glow plugs and pulled the old ones. The old plugs came out pretty easy (lucky) except one which was swollen too far. All but two were swollen. 13g's were in it and I ordered wellman 070's for it. No modifications on it except the toggle switch under the dash which was in it when I got it a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that the old 13g's were just that, OLD, and not a problem with the system frying them up. I still gotta get that last one out. Wish me luck.

spoort1

yeah, Hopefully it will come out with some elbow grease and vice grips. I will try tomorrow and see. I may have to get a glow-plug puller. Yikes...

raiburn

I could only get 3 of mine out, the rest were swollen.
I bought the tool, and they all came out, but it was still a battle.
In your case Spoort, if you install the other 7 first, start the truck and drive it around until its nice and warm. This will help the swollen one bend and reform as you pull it through the hole, and stop it from breaking off inside the pre-combustion chamber.
I couldn't get vice grips, or a pry bar to work on any of mine.

JAD561

I used the delco ac13g plugs. They lasted 4 weeks. 4 swelled up and would not come out. I ordered the removal tool, and had the stuck ones out in less than 1 hour. the tool was worth every bit of the $ 75 that it cost. I believe that the company was called either jt&t or jt&a racing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could only get 3 of mine out, the rest were swollen.
I bought the tool, and they all came out, but it was still a battle.
In your case Spoort, if you install the other 7 first, start the truck and drive it around until its nice and warm. This will help the swollen one bend and reform as you pull it through the hole, and stop it from breaking off inside the pre-combustion chamber.
I couldn't get vice grips, or a pry bar to work on any of mine.

Warning, If you start it with one or more GPs that are bad(or good but not connected), you may burn out the rest of them, nearly instantly.(unless you resupply them with 12V, as described in previous posts).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

spoort1

I found it with a search.30mm. Thanks for the advice doghead. I will see if I can find a magnet that I can get to it with. Wish me luck everyone.

Lawrence of Arabia

I bought an OTC puller and it worked great, but I have one that would not come out. I just replaced the seven and one day I will have to pull a head or do it when I rebuild the engine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think others have also mentioned a shop vac, has sucked them out through the injector hole. GL

spoort1

Well thanks for your help everyone. I was able to get the plug out with a shop vac. I tried a magnet but it wouldn't grab well enough. I could feel the plug in there with my pinkie finger and was able to find a hose small enough to get in the injector hole. Thank God for experience (doghead), shopvacs, hoses, and duct tape. SHE IS UP AND RUNNING.

spoort1

Oh, one last thing now. got her running and new 1000ca batteries and she is not keeping a charge. I'm checking the alternators tomorrow and see which or if both are bad. :( headlights are bright and voltmeter runs in the green when she is running but the new batteries are near dead when I try to start her without a jump. Scratchin my head here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks