• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oops, I just bought a CUCV...

datsunaholic

OK, photos are up.

You can see the residue firefighting piping systems, brackets, etc everywhere.

Note the gray dash pad, obviously a replacement. I got a little concerned when I looked at the Army Registration number and found it didn't match the reg number on the dataplate... worried it might actually NOT be a M1028, as the door is the only place that explicitly states that. The reg number on the door and dataplate were only one digit different though, so I ran the NSN off the dataplate and yes it is an M1028.

While it's really too fuzzy to see, there's a pipe fitting that's not connected to the fuel pump. it's bent back out of the way, and a hose in its place. I think that's the main fuel line from the lift pump to the injection pump.

Yes, the cord hanging out the front is a block heater.

As you can see, it's sitting on civilian wheels, with 33s. Tires have fairly good tread.

No spare, no jack, no lug wrench, no spare tire carrier even.

Attachments

4bogginchevys

I think those wheels are the 8 lug version of the rally wheel...would look even cooler with the beauty rings, i'd like to have a set, never come across a any at a junkyard either so thier VERY uncommon around here. (the deep dish ones)

The interior of the truck is excellent, I noticed right off that the volt guage is riveted on the opposite side of the panel from mine, and my buddy's 1009. Just one of those little things that make these unique, very cool truck.

one word of advice is, dont buy an aftermarket cheapy tailgate....the first time you sit on it it will crease. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

datsunaholic

Nah, I'm keeping the wheels- I think they'll look good even with the "Urban Camo" I plan to do (anything, ANYTHING will be better than red doors). The deep dish/positive offset works, and in any case the fenders are "clearanced" for them (the corners are cut out).

Interior is "OK". The Civilian dash pad doesn't really fit right, everything's attached with sheet metal screws, the dash fascia has cracks from the oversize screws. Seat is torn, though only on the side, not the normal tearing. I was expecting far worse.

Not really a candidate for a restoration- the body has MANY dents, the hood and roof are pretty trashed, as it looks like they stood on it, and there's a ton of holes where the firefighting equipment was bolted on. I've already started stripping the pipes off, the foam manifold on the brush guard came right off, as did the hose guide clips on the fender. It started raining so I gave up for the day.

As for the tailgate, I'll go with used if I even get one at all. Since it needs all the brackets, latch catches, hinges, etc, and that platform on the back is WELDED on so I'd have to cut that off.

4bogginchevys

I looked at the pics for a few minutes and didn't really notice a ton of dents like you mentioned.....The great thing about white, and it's easy to spot fix with a standard white from a rattle can, something to think about....

That truck would look awesome with black bumpers/black grill guard/white body/and the wheels painted black w/chrome beauty rings, what makes it prfect is the lac of chrome on a CUCV...nice truck, hope it stops raining long enough for you to tinker some more.:-D

datsunaholic

The dents are all in the hood and roof, except one on the driver's corner under the taillight.

No tinkering (still raining, and I had to change the water pump in my Daily Driver) but I did get the SF97 in the mail today. Only problem was they didn't fill out the curb/gross weight. Went to the license agency and they just let me declare 5800/9400 (well, if you're sure that's what the tag says). Then had to wait while he agent force-fed the VIN into the system because like most CUCVs the VIN doesn't pass the computer's sniff test. He knew what he was doing though, just asked a lot of questions, and I left with a lighter wallet and a pair pf license plates.

datsunaholic

$205 for taxes, title, title fee, plates, plate fee, plate reflectorization fee, gross weight fee, registration. Well, would have been $200 but I kicked $5 to the State Park fund.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks