• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh MK48, any experience/owners?

sandcobra164

I sent a disc with every current TM ever produced to a moderator. I'm sure there's a reason they didn't post them online. As for you Hopmeier, please send me a message with your address and I'll send you a disc. I see from your signature that you probably need all of them as you seem to have 1 of each variants.

Hopmeier

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally found the TM for the MK18A1; it was posted on SS and I found it by accident. It is here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?124417-mk48-night-mare/page13 From 2014, top of page 13 on MK48 Night Mare thread. It doesn't turn up in searches as it isn't listed by name so can't be referenced.

However, it also refers to TM 2320-10/11 A which I can't find. I also can't find the TM for the MK18. I may just call Oshkosh. If I find them I'll post here for everyone. If I do post it I'll also list the full name and TM number along with it so it can be found by searching in the future.

HDN

I'm bringing this thread back to life! I saw a MK48 for sale on Facebook Marketplace in PA somewhere. Also on FB Marketplace in PA is a HEMTT for sale, so I was wondering what's better - the MK48 or the HEMTT?

(Also as of this post the MK48 is asking around $10000 less than the HEMTT.)

Reading through the thread, it seems the HEMTT can be driven faster since it doesn't have the articulated rear unit. MK48 owners here have mentioned in the thread that 40-50 MPH is about as fast as it can be driven before handling safety is a concern. Elsewhere I've read about the HEMTT being able to do 60-70 MPH all day long - I guess that's what the Army means by "Expanded Mobility" :driver: Also I'd think there'd be a little less maintenance with the HEMTT from not having the articulating joint and associated steering hydraulics.

Also, there are a couple YouTube videos I've found interesting involving the FPU and hooking a FPU up to a rear unit:

blhar15

I have owned both units and you are correct about the MK48, it can get a bit squirrelly at highway speeds. The older HEMTTS A0 and A1 units were Detroit 8V92TA engines with Allison HT740 4 speed transmissions and you are limited to about 55 MPH. The A2 version got the Allison HD4560P 6 speed transmission (may have been limited to 5, cannot remember), but this transmission has an overdrive and yes you can get 65 MPH out of that configuration. The newer A4 versions went to the Cat C15 with the Allison HD transmission and cannot the faster highway speeds like the A2.

I have had all the versions of the HEMTT and you would definitely want the A2 or newer in my opinion. Mine were setup with a hook lift system for carrying flat racks and containers, very versatile.

I attached a photo of one of my A2's.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks