• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OT-90 Radio Resurrection

Timberwolf22

Today we fired up the recently painted OT-90.

She has been receiving a good amount of external attention - sand blasting and painting.

IMG_2458.jpg IMG_2460.jpg

So I was asked to spend some time on the radio equipment-to see what worked or might need to be replaced.We were able to get power to the R-123 radio = good place to start. After acquiring the right cables and comm helmets we were able to get speaker/microphone established with the R-123.

IMG_2448.jpg IMG_2454.jpg IMG_2449.jpg

There is no internal speaker on the R-123. You must use the headset for any radio functionality in the OT-90.

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

So the goal for today........ see if we could receive on the R-123

This would help us verify a good number of communications components.

For the testing we plugged our helmets into the driver and TC intercom stations. Powered up the R-123 and then we broke out the manual.

IMG_2455.jpg

Since we needed a transmission source to receive I broke out some of my "test" gear I use to verify the SINCGARS is receiving....

I have a Radio Shack headset kit that transmits on 49.9Mhz... set this transmitter and plugged into iPhone for a source and set some music on a loop. Verified that I could listen on the Radio Shack provided headphones.

IMG_2452.jpg

After some trial and error I was able to configure the R-123 for 49.9Mhz and sure enough there was the music rom the iPad.

The 49.9Mhz is right below the 6 Meter HAM band in FM and while I am not allowed to transmit in this spectrum I can still monitor it...... looked like a good test for the day.

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

Test one - receiving on the R-123 = a success. That was big for us since it verified that the helmets, cables, intercom boxes and the R-123 were all able to be re-used.

Next step is to get all the intercom stations operational - that will be the next test of the system.

IMG_2462.jpg IMG_2463.jpg

Finally I will bring my 6 Meter HAM radios and SINCGARS radio and we will see if we can transmit in the lower range of the 6 Meter HAM band.

We are already looking for antenna elements - looks like we have just the base component of the antenna.

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

Doing a bunch of research on the drivers station.

IMG_2447.jpg

This is the Radio Unit in the Drivers Station

IMG_2453.jpg

All you other OT-90 / BMP owners throw info my way.............was still unable to get the intercom between driver and TC working and I also believe that this unit may be involve when transmitting with the R-123.

Last edited:

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great. The photos I have are when I finished painting it. I didn't have the right lighting. It def came out looking great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks