• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out of Fuel

I am new here, how long have you been here?

• 6 months or less

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 6 months - 2 years

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 2 - 5 years

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • FOREVER!

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daryl303

So I ran out of fuel, (gas gauge says 3 o'clock) and now I can't start the vehicle. I checked the fuel filter and there is pressure. I am afraid it is the injector pump. Any other ideas? The injector pump is a bit pricey so I am hoping it is not that. I think Roosa Master is the stock pump but is there a better one out there maybe an after market or an upgrade? If I have to replace it I only want to do it once!

Daryl

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

When you say,"you ran out of fuel",does that mean it was running and died or was it a failure to restart? Whats the trucks history, has it ever been hard starting, how long have you had it, what are any other symptoms you've noticed. There is no replacement for the factory stanadyne injection pump. There are lots of threads here covering re&re, rebuild prices, places to get it done, etc.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am confused. You have one post and you start out with a poll asking how long we have been on here. You also mention you ran out of fuel but you have pressure at the filter. Do you have return flow through the return line? Plus all the things Hans asked. I am wondering if this is a real post or a spoof.

Rick

Keith_J

You can see how long we have been here and how many posts.

As far as fuel, I have never ran out. I carry 5 gallons extra AND use that little receipt from each fueling to track miles covered. Write the odometer reading on the last receipt, clip it with a clothespin, gem clip or chip clip. That way you can track mileage and answer nagging questions of 'when did I last fill'.

Daryl303

Clarification

When you say,"you ran out of fuel",does that mean it was running and died or was it a failure to restart? Whats the trucks history, has it ever been hard starting, how long have you had it, what are any other symptoms you've noticed. There is no replacement for the factory stanadyne injection pump. There are lots of threads here covering re&re, rebuild prices, places to get it done, etc.
RAN OUT OF FUEL- I was driving, and then there was no more fuel. So the truck stalled out due to no more fuel in the tank. When I filled the tank with the jerry can I have in the back, it did not restart.
TRUCK HISTORY- I purchased my CUCV on GL from Ft. Carson. It had 26XXX miles on it when I bought it and now it has 32XXX. It have never had any trouble starting it, even in cold weather. I bought it in March of 2012.
OTHER SYMPTOMS- The starter sometimes does not catch (i.e. that grinding sound when you turn the key) and the fuel gauge does not work (says 3 o'clock)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Daryl303

I am real

I am confused. You have one post and you start out with a poll asking how long we have been on here. You also mention you ran out of fuel but you have pressure at the filter. Do you have return flow through the return line? Plus all the things Hans asked. I am wondering if this is a real post or a spoof.

Rick
Sorry for the confusion. I did not even want to do a poll but accidentally clicked on it. I really don't care how long anyone has been here. I do not know if there is return flow. How could I check it?

Yes this is a real post.

Daryl303

He's got Colorado listed for a location, but no area/city. I don't think he's anybody I know, or a MVCC Member. :popcorn:
I live in Arapahoe county, in the newest scity in Colorado called Centennial. I was stalled out at University Blvd. and Arapahoe Rd. No I don't think I know you and no I am not a MVCC Member, I had no idea there was such thing and like I stated I am fairly new to this. I also do not like to pay dues so I probably will not join.

Last edited:

Daryl303

Mileage

You can see how long we have been here and how many posts.

As far as fuel, I have never ran out. I carry 5 gallons extra AND use that little receipt from each fueling to track miles covered. Write the odometer reading on the last receipt, clip it with a clothespin, gem clip or chip clip. That way you can track mileage and answer nagging questions of 'when did I last fill'.
I too use my receipt to calculate milage. I average about 18 mpg. I also carry a jerry can with 5 gallons of fuel. However I have not been clipping the reciept to my visor, I have been putting it in the ashtray. I like your idea though and will employ it until I get said fuel gauge fixed. Thanks

dependable

The starter grinding is a separate issue, but may make it hard to bleed your system. You say you have pressure to fuel filter. Did you loosen bleed screw at top side of filter base and crank until clear fuel comes out? The 6.2 with a good starter and batteries should be able to bleed itself and start from that point if everything is working properly. Would be a good time to change fuel filter element, as you could have sucked some sludge from bottom of tank. The little rubber hoses between the injectors are fuel return lines, follow them around front of engine to find main return line. But that should not be an issue.

Hasdrubal

If you've got fuel coming from the filter bleed screw, then the next step is to bleed the injectors. I know someone is going to pipe up here and say you can just keep cranking and it will self bleed, but sorry, thats never worked for me. I was never under the impression that this is a self bleeding system anyway.

So, loosen the nut where the hard lines go into the injectors. Put a couple of pieces of cardboard along the sides of the inner fenders , thats where the fuel will spray out. You can see the spray pattern better and when you're done there's no diesel to clean. If your batteries aren't in top condition, ie; they run down easily, or your starter is worn, you might consider pulling the glow plugs. It only takes a few minutes and now the engine cranks with no compression lessening the load on starter and the draw on batteries.

Crank in cycles of 10 seconds max..let the starter cool down for a few minutes between cycles. You're looking for a good wide spray pattern from each injector on your cardboard. Dont tighten the lines if its just sputtering a little as there's still air in the line. Once you've got a good spray pattern from each injector, tighten the lines, replace glow plugs if you've removed them and it will fire right up.

dependable

There is nothing wrong with bleeding the injectors if you have run out of fuel in the 6.2. If everything is working, they will eventually self bleed, in my experience. As the original poster said he had starter problems, bleeding the injectors would be a good idea.

The OP's fuel gauge problem is likley due to bad ground at fuel gauge sender.

This thread is kind of mislabeled, as I never did respond to any poll.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks