• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up the M1009 yesterday

niferous

So here is my tale of the M1009 recovery from Redstone Arsenal. We left Houston on Monday afternoon and had an uneventful trip but got to Huntsville very late finally getting into the hotel room at 4 am. We made it DRMO the next morning at 9:30 am though and proceeded to wait for someone to help us load out. By the way our vehicle was not searched before we went on post.

The folks at GL were very nice and helpful however the truck was not as accuratley described as it could have been. For instance they said in the auction that the front right window was broken. Well so is the back glass! Also there is a fist sized hole in the floor where they usually mount the radio rack. I don't think it's rust at least. Just a field done job to run wires for the radios. It had the forklift damage on the right side and a few other dents that didn't show up in the pictures. Nothing really major though. The description said the truck stated but when we got there it didn't. The GL yard guy asked if we brought ehter which we didn't. We tried to crank it to no avail and I noticed the batteries were dieing out. I had him pop the hood and all the belts were shredded. It does have Optimas so I'm hoping that some new belts and a charge will get it going. It was cranking well and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Let's see the spare is there as well as a jerry can holder on the driver's side of the cargo area. So we went ahead and hooked our tow bar that Daveo let us burrow and it bolted right up! We pulled the truck to a dry spot in the yard and I got underneath it to unhook the driveshaft. The bolts backed right out and all was going well but the ujoint was really in there. I tapped it with a hammer and tried to break it loose with a wrench but no avail. The GL guy had a pick ax head so we stuck the small end in there and popped out with a lot of force! The cups actually fell off the ujoint and man they were void of grease. anyway we tied driveshaft up with a 1" ratchet strap and headed out!

The first stop was WalMart just outside Gate 3 to get my new tires put on. The ones on there had full tread and even the little nipples still on them but I just didn't want to trust them. We asked the guy if we could just tow the rig through the bay and disconnect it from our truck so they could change the tires and he said flat out no. We picked up an extension for our trailer ligths (our wires were just a little too short) and went back to the counter and another guy was there and had a manger tag on. We asked him and he said sure! He said he had never seen one of the trucks there but that it looked just like a K5 Blazer so he would "attempt" it. He pulled it right through their bay and got it on the lift and we unhooked it no problem. We went for lunch and to get our bags at the hotel and by the time we made it back they were done and had even puched it out into the parking lot for us. They did a good job and the 32" tires look great. The only hickup we had was when we were driving over to the gas pumps before we hit the road people were starring at us like "what is that!?" My buddy Scott made the comment that they must be thinking "What the heck is this traveling gipsy show?" We were about half way through the lot and turned a corner I looked back and saw the driveshaft dragging!!! It had slipped out of the back of the transfer case! I guess we didn't tie it up right. Oh well I just took it our from under the truck and through it in the cargo area with the old tires. Probably lost some fluid so I will have to refill that!

Well we got on the road and the rest was just driving. 807 miles to Houston without hickups doing 70 mph the whole way. The truck didn't jerk or wonder around at all. Tracked right behind us the whole way. When we got to Houston it was a bit of a chore getting it into the garage (angled driveway) but I'm glad we did as it rained like heck last night. Below are some pictures. Sorry I don't have any of the driver's side. Just forgot to take any. We drove it back with the windows down just to air it out.

Edit to add: The hood has "Go Forrestry" on it written in white paint. Not sure what that means. Maybe the truck was supposed to go to the Forrestry Service? I am trying to upload a pick of that as we speak.

Attachments

Last edited:

REGULATOR

good story!

what brand etc walmart tires did you git? when I pick my truck up fromt he engine swap I'll need new tires

sometimes there prices are decent

Pawnshop

The 32s DO look good on that truck, I might do that when it's time to change my tires out. I'm glad you made it home in one piece! Show us a better pic of the tow bar, I may need one of those to tow the M1009 behind a Deuce.

Sam

niferous

what brand etc walmart tires did you git? when I pick my truck up fromt he engine swap I'll need new tires

sometimes there prices are decent
I bought the tires back here from Discount Tire Company and just had Wal Mart mount them. I paid $148 a piece for some BFG All Terrain KOs in 32 x 11.50 x 15. All Wal Mart had that would have fit was some 31 x 10.50 x 15 Goodyear Mud Terrains. They were $20 cheaper but I like the tires I have and how they look on the truck.

mistaken1

My truck was marked "Mississippi County Sheriff's Dept. 3/4" on the hood. I am thinking it was slated for the Mississippi County Sheriff's department when the deal fell through for whatever reason and it was put up for auction.

I am thinking that "-NR-" on your hood meant not running.

By the way, congratulations on a safe recovery.

Attachments

niferous

Probably was supposed to be a grant in my case to the Forestry Service and in your case to the Sheriff's Office. I have buddies that work for this government agency or that and they apply for grants all the time. The military just gives them the stuff. One police department here has a deuce and half and an old Air Force delivery van/bread truck that they never use. They said in the description that it runs and the guys at GL said he remembered it running so hopefully I can get it up and going pretty easy.

mistaken1

I did not mean to be discouraging. :oops: I do hope you get it running without more effort than some diesel 911 and a battery charge. :-D

I would like to think that the grant vehicles are generally in better shape than those destined for auction from day 1.

niferous

Wow !! That's a nice Blazer. Did yall treke through my neck of the woods ??
Nah we wound up going down south through Birmingham and then on to Meridian and then I-12 to I-10. Once I saw the belts were shredded and the batteries were dead we just hitched it up and took off since we had a 12 hour drive either way.

niferous

I figured I would add some updated pictures of the truck with all the white marker stuff off. Here is what I have done so far.

- Replaced all belts with Gates brand belts.
- Replaced the glow plugs, glow plug relay, and installed a new glow plug relay card.
- All new BFG All Terrains, including the spare, size 32x11.5x15.
- Replaced the brake and parking brake foot pads.
- Replaced the fuel filter and changed the oil.
- Replaced the transmission's modulator valve and modulator and got a new bracket for it.
- Replaced all the instrument lights with red bulbs.
- Built a center console out of a 30 mm can. I used some OD green canvas and carpet foam for the top pad. The inside is lined with 3/16" plywood in order to keep stuff from clanking around.
- Ordered replacement seat covers from New Life Canvas and getting foam made by a friend who does motorcycle seats.
- I have an appointment for the 18th to get the interior Line-Xed.
- Ordered a new Vacuum Regulator Valve and have new lines ready to install when it gets here.
- Ordered a fuel tank sending unit and will hopefully have it installed soon.
- Got some steel to make a back bumper with a swing out tire carrier, and then another carrier for a fuel can, two .50 cal ammo cans, and a hi lift jack. Will start the welding soon.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks