• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pickins Gettin Slim on GL

TACTICAL6

Your point of this being old info is noted. However, my point is that the dry spell should change, at least here in Ohio. I talked with property managers here, and their mandate per NGB is that all deuces are to be systematically removed from the field.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT....repeat...THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT.

I read during the run up to the election that, if Obama was elected, he indicated that he would cut military spending. I can't remember the exact language and specifically what weapons systems he would cut, but he DID indicate that he would cut military spending. I don't think this is very newsworthy as Democrats usually cut military spending (see most recently the Clinton years) and Republicans normally increase military spending (see W, the first Bush and Reagan most recently). With this said, if military spending is cut, my feeling is the military is going to have to hold onto what they've got for longer than they anticipated. Could this mean a reversal on the M35A2s and/or M809 series trucks? I doubt it...but, as David (ARMYMAN30YEARS) indicated previously in another post, the military system is straining to provide replacement vehicles for its soldiers, marines, airmen, and navy. If spending is decreased, where are they going to get the money to buy more FMTVs to replace the older trucks when I would assume they will place a priority on replacing offensive weapons systems (tanks, HMMWVs, MRAPs, armament, etc.). Any thoughts?

I want to close by saying again that I don't mean this to turn into a political discussion. Obama was elected whether we like it or not. The fact remains that he will be our next President. Now, with that said, what impact will it have on the replacement of vehicles?

Thanks!

halftrack

I do know that bonuses that were being offered to re-enlist that were on the table are going to be withdrawn at the first of the year. Rumor has it that it was to anticipate and help offset the massive slash in budget cuts. Though nothing official has been set yet, the hand writing is on the wall. I do believe that defense contracts are pretty much set in stone so I don't know how much Obama can really affect this upcoming year.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The order for the NG to turn in all M44 series came LONG LONG before the political season heated up. Bottom line, TACOM wanted them gone to ease the logistical burden the trucks carried..

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, you fail to see the OPPORTUNITIES that arise from reduced military spending!
PM the Deuces and, when the time comes, contract them back to the military!
Save the money and buy more Deuces afterwards.

Ok, yes, I am joking...but only partially. This very same situation is currently going on with commuter trains in Australia. The company sold a hundred train sets off to private collectors and for scrap - and now they are leasing them back, because the deal for replacements fell through.

poppop

In my experince of watching the sales, it always slows way down at the end of each year and then picks back up at the first of the next year. I don't have a clue about the number of trucks left to sell but there is an end somewhere. On the bright side I do think the value of the trucks we own now will go up when there are no more. I don't intend to sell but by the time my Kids have to decide what to do with my junk I think the value will have increased and I intend to have them well informed.

wsucougarx

Just secured my last deuce. Paid twice as much as I wanted to. But got rid of the worry of if anymore are going to come up on GL. Granted I paid much less than if I bought from a third party. I'm sure my wife is going to be thrilled:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks