• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Hook Grease Fittings?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1972 AM General M35A2 does not have grease fittings for the pintle hook. I looked in the TM and see that there are supposed to have grease fittings. I also heard the later Deuces did not have grease fittings on the pintle hooks. What is the reason for this if it is true? As many grease fittings that are on these trucks, i would think a pintle hook grease fitting would be up there on the list too.

fasttruck

Even if the jaw and latch fittings are missing there is usually a fitting on hte bottom center
of the rear cross member bracket the lubrication of which facilitates the rotation of the whole assembly which is essential as the lunette on the trailer does not rotate to compensate for uneven terrain.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At some point and time, the mil spec changed and they were no longer drilled and tapped for the zerks. Older trucks almost always have them. A wll greased pintle is a joy to operate.

Crazyguyla

None of the pintles that i have seen here in Iraq have greas fittings for the pintles. Had to disassble a few to lube the locking jaw. Between the sand and the rust, it wasn't pretty coming apart.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to post something earlier but after thinking about it i thought maybe a grease fitting was behind the cross member. I look and there is not. there is not one grease fitting at all on my pintle hook. I thought for sure there would be one on the shank of the pintle hook (the part that turns when the trailer would articulate). what would be the reason why they wouldnt put one on it?

glcaines

My 1969 Kaiser Jeep has three grease fittings on the pintle. Makes it easy to move around. I think if I had a Deuce or other truck that didn't have grease fittings I'd swap out the pintle for one that did.