• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering box replacement

UNIMOG-GUY

Looking for suggestions on power steering box replacements. Brand? Place to purchase from? Send it off to get rebuilt?

What have you guys used? Mine is shot. The pitman arm moves vertically up and down when the wheel is turned back and forth. This causes sporadic steering of the truck right and left when driving.

The truck is a ‘86 M1028 6.0 LQ9 4L80E NP205 stock lift.

I’m getting a rebuild quote from RED HEAD. They come highly recommended from the Toyota Landcruiser community that I also dabble in. I’ll post the quote here for those looking for info in the future.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

That is a problem for all of us. Wear happens and rebuilds from auto parts stores are hit or miss.

I had a worn out box like yours and couldn’t find anything I trusted to be better “rebuilt”. New like this :

Just seemed too pricey. I found a used box with very low miles and zero play to swap in with the XJ steering shaft swap. Huge difference but it took a lot of looking to find.

UNIMOG-GUY

That is a problem for all of us. Wear happens and rebuilds from auto parts stores are hit or miss.

I had a worn out box like yours and couldn’t find anything I trusted to be better “rebuilt”. New like this :

Just seemed too pricey. I found a used box with very low miles and zero play to swap in with the XJ steering shaft swap. Huge difference but it took a lot of looking to find.
Thank you for your reply.

I clicked on the ORD link and they don’t offer a ‘80-‘87 4WD box. Only ‘88-‘98 and ‘99-‘06.

However they do offer a 2WD box for ‘80-‘87 but it mentions crossover steering. Can the 2WD box be used on a 4WD truck? Maybe I’m missing something?

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your reply.

I clicked on the ORD link and they don’t offer a ‘80-‘87 4WD box. Only ‘88-‘98 and ‘99-‘06.

However they do offer a 2WD box for ‘80-‘87 but it mentions crossover steering. Can the 2WD box be used on a 4WD truck? Maybe I’m missing something?
The 2WD box is used in conjunction with a crossover steer conversion. The pitman arm is oriented for crossover steering on the 2WD box.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So to clarify if I swap my current steering to cross over steering I could get a 2WD box and use that on my 4WD truck?
Yes.

Search Crossover Steering Conversion on the web and you will find plenty of manufacturers and information on the subject. There are plenty of kits to choose from out there.

I think you need at least a 2" lift to clear a crossover steering conversion but I am not sure.

Good luck.

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

After reaching out to Redhead power steering gear and getting a quote….I’ve decided to send it off to them and have it rebuilt. They come highly recommended from fellow Land Cruiser buddies. If you buy their box (part# 2858 ) and send in your core it’s $316 plus tax and shipping. If you want your specific box rebuilt it’s $391 plus tax and shipping.

If you’re using the truck offroad, w/ bigger tires or want more leverage you can order the 4-turn box for the same price as the stock box (part #2858T). They also offer a box for crossover steering (part# 2856) and the 4-turn version (part# 2856T).

Once I get the Redhead steering box installed and have put some miles on it I’ll report back my thoughts.

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

I had some time last night and found myself watching YouTube videos of CUCV 6.0 LS engine swaps. While I wait on my steering box to be rebuilt.

I highly recommend watching the Mohawk Garage channel CUCV. He documents the process really well with 35 videos and verbal explanations. He shows failures and successes he experiences throughout the process.

He does a 6.0 LS Turbo swap. He makes some great upgrades like:
- direct swap Jeep XJ steering shaft
-urethane bushing replacements (body, suspension, engine)
-crossover steering
-modifying the clamshell engine mounts by cutting them and adding urethane bushings
-rebuild TH400 transmission
-turbo
-intercooler
-and many more

Last edited:

Finnegan1008

Yes.

Search Crossover Steering Conversion on the web and you will find plenty of manufacturers and information on the subject. There are plenty of kits to choose from out there.

I think you need at least a 2" lift to clear a crossover steering conversion but I am not sure.

Good luck.
Yes cross over steering requires a lift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks