• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preference: Air or electric trailer brakes?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am considering purchasing a pull-behind equipment type trailer for use behind the Deuce and something bigger (8)) in the future. I think I will buy something like what's pictured, a 10 ton pintle pull with tandem axles and duals. I want to be able to haul a Deuce on the trailer. A trailer with 10 ton capacity should give me enough margin of safety, considering your average Deuce is 7 tons.

I see these trailers offered with both electric and air brakes-what is preferred? Is one more effective than the other? All of my experience has been with smaller car hauler and enclosed car hauler trailers which have been exclusively electric.

I want the brakes to be as effective as possible, as if an emergency arises and I have to use to the Deuce to pull the trailer, the empty trailer alone will encompass almost 60% of the Deuce's rated towing capacity.

Of course, air brakes simplify matters on the Deuce or 5 ton, as you don't have to wire in a 12V trailer brake controller, but if electric brakes are the overwhelmingly better choice, that's something I am not opposed to.

Opinions on brakes please!*

*Yes, I have considered that with air brakes, I would never be able to use this behind a dually or similar (3500/4500/5500) truck. I do not think I would be much inclined to ever try and pull a trailer like this behind a dually.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air! Anything over 10000lbs needs air, not electric.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would also install a brake control lever on the primary pull vehicle like a tractor, this will give you independent control of the trailer if needed

PorscheTech911

Yea Clinto I'd have to agree and say go with air. It's just safer, more robust, and easier on you than figuring out an electrical system when maintenance is needed.

poppop

Air, and Rons idea about a hand valve is a very good one. You can then apply the trailer brakes independent of the towing truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. All well thought out answers. I will buy a trailer with air brakes.

I sincerely appreciate it fellas. :beer:

Air . Did you search?
I did and I did not see a specific discussion of the merits of electric brakes vs. air. I such a thread exists, please link me to it and I will merge this thread with it so the discussion will all be in one place.

tm america

i would go air electric brakes dont seem to hold up to good.actuators go bad from sitting .air is more reliable and has better stopping power.i understand your concern about not being able to tow it behind a deully but i wouldnt want to be pulling something heavy on a high trailer like that behind a deully anyway since it would be top heavy and would be better suited to be pulled with the deuce anyway:roll: