• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Printed TMs, Interested?

kenz5380

I'm a commercial printer, and it occurred to me that I could do a nice job of printing TMs on nice paper if people were interested in owning a hard copy of the books. I haven't taken the time to figure out how much they would cost, but if people are interested I will. They could have a variety of binding options depending on the thickness and cost.

What do you think? What would you be willing to pay?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
or pick a TM from the tm section, see what it would cost for you to do , page + covers + binding

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I print them out double sided then copy the front and back covers on tan colored card stock. After they are printed I take then to Office Depot and have them put a clear front and solid black plastic rear cover with a black spiral binding on them. If I do the printing I can have the covers and binding done for under $4. If you don't have access to a place to print, virtually any office depot/max does it for $0.10 a page or less. Bigger manuals usually drop the price to around 5-6 cents a page.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some I'd be interested in. If you decide to do this, I'd like to suggest a few. The common ones (Rigging, Survival, Evasion and Escape, etc.) are already being done. Some of the more hard to find TM's and TO's would be nice though.

Storm 51

Empty Pockets

I like my TM's on a PDF files but I always like to have a hard copy on hand to back them up. I would be interested in buying reproduced Tm's with extra heavy duty bindings, card stock covers with plastic to help protect, and high quality paper. Most of my Tm's are over 50 years and very fragile. I have purchased most of them for around $20, but I would be willing to pay a little more for high quality manuals that I know will last another 50 years.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my question. What would you be using as "originals"??? Here is why I ask. For instance, I have M274 Mule manuals, both original and repros. The originals (US Army/"real deal" printed ones), the pictures/digrams are clear. Some of the repro manuals I have are made well with the heavy tan cardstock/good paper, and look decent, but the diagrams/pictures almost unusable due to them being copied from the original to the copy.

With the "modern' TMs that have PDF files, this isnt much of a problem, but the older (non PDF file) ones, it is a problem. Also, unless the PDF files come from LOGSA, you need to check to make sure they are have the latest Changes to them. One generator TM I know of has over 10 changes from when it was orignally printed in the late 1980's. Manuals that arent current/updated can cause all sorts of problems. Troubleshooting with bad info is never good.

Even the Army has figured this out, thats why they publish PS Magazine every month. The changes in PS Magazine are integrated into the next update of the TM.

For all my trucks/trailers, I have ALL the TM's both on PDF and paper complete with all updates.
The mule only has the paperones, and my set of Original ones is almost complete thanks to Bill Watson. I have a nice set of copys that a good buddy made me that were really good copies, legible pictures/diagrams.

Last edited:

cpf240

I love having the TM's in PDF format. I would also like to have them in printed form, as I feel something is lost in the experience between reading / searching a hard copy versus the electronic versions. Besides, I don't like taking my computer into the "library". :-D

Proud Army Dad

Very interested...Especially since I just paid $20 on E-bay for operator and maintenance manuals, then had the vendor send me an e-mail asking me - "You realize these are sent by e-mail, right?"...Doh!...Remember kids, E-bay and beer don't mix...He had it posted in VERY large print too...:roll:

I already have 3 binders full from the P.O... I'd say they are close to original, just because the binders/paper look to be at least 20 years old...

I will say the TM's on SS are way easier to look **** up in than in the binders...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks