• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purging fuel system on multifuel

SeldomSeenSlim

I went to look at a m109 for sale from the classifieds here. It was set up by the current owner for WVO/WMO with a second 50gal tank. The stock tank had what appeared to be a WMO mix with what smelled like gasoline, though it could have some other fuel in it as well. This is my first experience with a deuce hands on and after a quick call to a member here I got the startup procedure. I was not able to get the truck started though. I stopped before the batteries went totally down for the count.

I think the issue might be with the mix fuel. It cranks fine and cracking the drain on the fuel filter I could see that there was fuel. No obstructions with the air that I could see. My thought is to drain the main tank and filters. Then put fresh diesel in the tank and run the fuel pump until fresh diesel comes out of the filters purging the lines. At which point I would think I'd at least know I'm running from a known source of fuel. I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks any of you might have and if it would be necessary to try and drain the lines between the filter and injectors.

O.D. Fever

Have a partner give it a small shot of starting fluid after the engine is cranking, get it running and burn up the current fuel. Or pull the drain plug on the bottom of the tank and fill with fresh fuel. May still need the help of starting fluid. Don't do it by yourself because the motor needs to be cranking when ether is shot in the air intake or you may blow the lid on the motor:smile:.

91W350

There is also the little lever behind the two screw cover on the IP. Make sure it is moving freely. I would pull the plug above the secondaries and turn the tank pump on or open a secondary filter bleeder with the pump on to make sure fuel is getting by the primary. In your part of the world, WVO gould easily be solid in the lines this lime of year.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You were not too clear, does the truck run right now? If it does, top it off and run it. If not we need more info.

SeldomSeenSlim

You were not too clear, does the truck run right now? If it does, top it off and run it. If not we need more info.

It does not run. The last time it ran was October. Unfortunately the man that set up the truck passed away so there is no way to know the exact fuel mix or what, if any, other changes were made to the fuel system. There is a secondary fuel switch that appeared to changed between diesel and WVO/WMO mix. At this point I'm just trying to get it up and running to complete the sale and get it home.

Tlauden

Seems like you have a good plan, fill the main tank with diesel, purge as far as you can. And try to get her running.

Here's what I would do, just so you know you have good diesel
1. Drain tank, fill with diesel
2. Take off 1st fuel filter, leave it off
3. Turn in tank pump on, push all the old fuel out of the line
4. Install a NEW primary fuel filter
5. Take off 2nd and 3rd filters
6. Again, leave them off and push out the old crap
7. Install new filters
8. Try starting

That way you would ensure a good clean fuel line to at least your filters. If that doesn't work maybe rent one of them big torpedo heaters and try to get your engine compartment to a warmer temp, as said above there may be veggie oil which in these temp will do nothing but be solid, warming it up may be enough to get it flowing and once you start it it will quickly be burnt and you will be running on clean diesel. You will know when the diesel makes it to the engine, they (at least mine) runs a bit better (not as much smoke) on diesel

Good luck to ya. If it last ran in October you shouldn't have to big a problem getting her to fire up again

Tyler

Edit, if you do that and while you have the filter canisters off, it may get messy, I would suggest doing this in rock/a yard/ field. Less cleanup :)

Last edited: