• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radios, aging, and corrosion

papakb

I've played with these radios for the last 30 years or so and one of the things that kills them quickly is corrosion. There's nothing worse than removing a cover and seeing white powder in a radio. It can be cleaned and repaired but I usually move on to another set because they are less likely to give you fits.

I think what's happening is that over the years the O-rings have flattened out and as the radios sit outside in the sun they heat up and the air inside expands and escapes but then as the radios cool down they draw in outside air and the moisture gets in and stays there. Eventually the corrosion begins. The solution is to replace the O-rings which is a PITA but you can put a little Vaseline or silicon lube on them to help them seal the case.

Just a repair tip.

Kurt Lesser
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good tip.

Is there any cure for aluminum/magnesium corrosion that has already started? Something you can put on the corrosion to remove or at least stop it?

papakb

The best solution that I've found is to clean away as much of the corrosion as possible and they put some WD-40 on it then keep it dry. When I was in the Navy we had a spray corrosion inhibitor in OD green cans but I think it was meant for shipboard use and don't have a clue as to how well it would work in electrical equipment.

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

I've always wondered if tossing in one of those packed-with-equipment dessicant bags in any radio with the space for such would help solve the problem - or merely exacerbate it. I've had panel corrosion problems on stuff in the past too which you can scrape and clean and etch and repaint...yet it still seems to come back again once started. Very irritating.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every piece of British Clansman radio gear I have has a dessicant pack in it. They think it works! :) Typical sealed electronics can be baked at a little over 100 deg F to clear moisture, then add dessicant, and seal.

If corrosion keeps coming back into a piece of electronics then maybe the storage conditions might need thought. Even a 'sealed' case will breathe enough to let moisture ingress. I bought an air conditioner for my radios and they let me use it, LOL

Bob
WB4ETT

I've always wondered if tossing in one of those packed-with-equipment dessicant bags in any radio with the space for such would help solve the problem - or merely exacerbate it. I've had panel corrosion problems on stuff in the past too which you can scrape and clean and etch and repaint...yet it still seems to come back again once started. Very irritating.

Jeepsinker

Best thing for cleaning corrosion from a pcb is a can of liquid wrench penetrating oil and a stuff toothbrush.
And for case corrosion white vinegar works wonders. After treating with vinegar let the aluminum dry naturally, then spray with the red colored battery terminal protectant that comes in aerosol form. I've not done this with military radios, but have done it a lot with C.B. and ten meter amateur radios. People leave them sitting in Sheds and garages for years at a time.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

When I worked in corrosion control we would wash the gear in a dishwasher then dry it off and spray it down with dry cleaning solution and then bake it in a oven then spray some parts with a shellac or paint while the part was still hot. And yes this was done to electronic equipment, actually avionics electronics as most things can get wet as long as there's no electricity flowing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks