• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle continues to leak

F18hornetM

Keep in mind that rear or inner hub seal only keeps water, dirt etc out, does not keep oil in, so if oil goes past the key way, or outter seal, it will go past bearings, out rear seal and onto brakes, wheels etc
Wouldnt hurt to check or move the vents. I would imagine the more the truck is used, the less you have to worry about the vents. But if it sits, i bet the guys are right here, will plug up or stick. You could always ask the mechanic about it, if he doesnt know about the key way...which most mechanics wouldnt know, might be on to something...

good luck

tco3129

Took me 2 or 3 washed bearings to figure out WHERE'S THIS CORK THING EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT?. Apparently I had wiped away and threw away the cork with all the other crud. Now a dab of RTV seems to do the trick. Next teardown will get cork AND RTV.

I too have had similar issues after long trips. As recently as this past Sunday. I thought I had cleaned the vents prior, but apparently not good enough. New ones to be purchased. Just a little frustrating since the seals were just done about 1500 miles ago. Good input and suggestions. Thanks

sandcobra164

Careful which seals you get 052. I scored me a outer seal on E-Bay once upon a time and it only lasted about 500 miles. When I pulled the hub back apart, I pulled the seal and noticed the out bearing race had worn a very noticeable grove in it. I then did some reading on here and came across posts on Chinese made seals with the incorrect amount of preload on the lip as well as a rubber that is too hard which causes, well, exactly what I encountered. I got a NOS seal from a dealer and have had no trouble the past 2,000 miles. And as everyone stresses, use a cork, viton or as I do, RTV the keyway, install outer seal, rtv somemore, install inner nut, torque to 50 foot pounds while turning, back off about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, install lock washer, install outer nut, torque to spec, bend tabs on lockwasher, install axle shaft, enjoy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks