• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seal Longevity

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend was wrapping up a long cross country trip from eastern US to western US, round trip in his converted 2007 LMTV expedition vehicle. He had a major rear main seal failure, causing him to tow it home the last 150 miles or so.

Its got me thinking of what can we do to all of our main seals not just Engine to help preserve them and make them last longer.
My first thoughts are additives, but with so many choices I was wondering if anyone has good advise or real world success with an additive???

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO. Additives are essentially all Snake Oil. You have no idea how they will react with the base oil and additive package. If it's not in the bottle of oil already DO NOT add it.

There's no such thing as mechanic in a can.

This is probably a result of multiple factors, but rear main seal failure is usually a result of either crankshaft thrust play, or oil contamination resulting in hard particles of carbon, varnish, dust, dirt, etc being wedged between the shaft and the seal and essentially turning the seal into a cutting tool. Thus why most of the time when replacing a shaft seal such as a front or rear main it is advisable to also install a shaft repair sleeve or at the very least set the seal such that it doesn't run on the portion of the shaft that already has a groove cut into it.

Good filtration (both oil AND air), and quality synthetic is your friend. Preferably with bypass filtration to pull out very small particles and soot.

My 2008 had a huge hole in the boot from the air filter to the pipe that runs to the turbo inlet. Just rubber rot from the desert. I could stick my finger through it. Improperly filtered air and dusty operating conditions are probably the worst thing you can do for engine longevity besides running it low on oil or not changing the oil. Making sure that the air filter is SEALED and the engine isn't pulling in "pirate" air from somewhere that's not filtered..... often overlooked.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crappy eco friendly rubber, I had 60 year old rubber on my restored M38A1 that was still in almost perfect condition. I road it on 1951 tires with new tubes. But the tires were still flexible.
The former wetland (now superfund site) near the factory that made the M38A1 rubber still looks like the surface of the moon but hey that rubber is SUPPLE! :ROFLMAO:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks