• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear pinion seal is leaking

joelroll

while I was getting my M-37 ready for the road, I went ahead and replaced the pinion seals on both diffs. when I had the rear drive shaft apart, I noticed there was some pitting on the yoke. I cleaned off the rust, put it back together with the new seal and didn't think much about it untill the seal started leaking again last week. Is there a sleeve available for this yoke? what do you guys suggest I do to cure my problem? thanks!

70deuce

Did you have evidence of water in the diff? Don't know about the sleeve but by chance do you have the part numbers on the pinion seals. Both mine are going to be replaced. Thanks

Phil

70deuce

Thanks for the info. It will be awhile before they are replaced. Engine is out and in pieces right now. Drivetrain will come later.

M37Dodge

Fed Mogul #992112 / National 99187 and/or National #410308 - width of seal surface is wider for 1 - I forget which. They run ~$27 locally.

The pitting on the yoke kills seals. You could just buy a NOS pinion yoke for $10 from AB Lin instead:) Later.

SasquatchSanta

There is a way to fix the rough surface on the yoke. I think the proper name is speedy seal. It's a ring that presses over the yoke. They are easy to use.

M37Dodge your black font is nex to impossible for some of us to read. I'm getting to the point where I don't even try. When I see a post in black font I ingore it.

m376x6

There are both Redi Sleaves and Speedi Sleaves. They run anywhere from 30 to 40 dollars. I have seen them for less but they are generally in a size that I don't need. A flange from AB Linn is your best bet. Chances are the seals available from parts dealers are leather as well. IMO it is best to wet the leather first with Neat's Foot oil before installing it to get the best performance from the seal. The pinion seal actually is two parts. I don't have the number but it is possible to knock out the inner seal part and replace it with newer rubber type material. Because of some limited wear reinstalling your flange and washer nut combination to the original position may not be the best. It is always best to tighten the nut down to get the proper pre-load on the pinion bearings. If I get the chance when I get home I'll post the seal number that works inside the outer seal housing if you decide to go with newer synthetic material.

Regards,
M376X6

tropicthunder

bow wood

Can anyone tell me how long the pieces of wood should be that go from the metal bed stakes on the sides to the bow corners at the top on the M37 cargo cover bows.

thanks