• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear wheels look "Toed out" ???

When I look at my m1009 at a distance, my rear wheels appear slightly out of level, the top of the wheel pointing slightly inward. My truck does pull slightly to the right. I have no vibrations etc. seems fine. Is this a symptom of a worn part, or am I just overly critical? ( I do meticulously check this thing out, Im still learning it, and I love it.) Nothing appears to be bent etc.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a negative "camber" situation. For the rear axle it is only possible if the axle housing or tube was bent, i.e. from vehicle being dropped or severely overloaded.
Yes, a good eye can catch even 1/2 of a degree, off. Anything over that should be addressed ASAP, if you don't want premature bearing failure, worn or broken axle shafts, etc.

Put the vehicle on level ground and measure the distance between front and rear axles, left and right side, to determine if they are parallel or not.

G.

Barrman

As explained above, it should be verticle. Put a level next to it and then compare it to the other side rear tire. Camber pull is normally a front tire condition, but it will be where the vehicle wants to go to the side with the most positive camber. If you left tire is leaned in and your right is verticle, that means the passenger side is more positive, so it will try to go that way. Any alignment shop could check it for you. Since you said it pulls, now would probably be a good time to get an alignment anyway.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had this issue a year ago replaced the real axle and replaced the springs but the problem has't gone away could it be the spring hangers? and how do you test that?

wayne pick

As Barrman stated above, an alignment shop could check it for you. A good body shop could put it on a frame rig and check it also, they use lazers for straightening frames and unibody vehicles.

cscmc1

Find some level ground and use the biggest carpenter's square you can find to see if, in fact, one wheel tips "in" toward the top. Measure several times on both sides, and see if there is, in fact, some negative camber and difference between the two sides, or if it's an optical illusion -- or, as others have stated, just take it to an alignment shop. Good luck!

Barrman

Any alignment shop with Hunter (The big red lift and aligner) equipment newer than 2006 can tell you the angles of all 4 tires to the 0.00 of a degree. It will take about 2 minutes once the truck is on the lift. If you tell them all you want is a print out of what your angles are, not a full alignment and show up when they aren't swamped with customrers. They might do it for just a few dollars or even free if they think the truck is cool.

Skinny

Any alignment shop with Hunter (The big red lift and aligner) equipment newer than 2006 can tell you the angles of all 4 tires to the 0.00 of a degree. It will take about 2 minutes once the truck is on the lift. If you tell them all you want is a print out of what your angles are, not a full alignment and show up when they aren't swamped with customrers. They might do it for just a few dollars or even free if they think the truck is cool.
Very true! A modern rack will tell you a bunch of stuff about your rig which can be useful information for cheap money. Anytime you have a pull, death wobble, etc, the rack won't lie :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks