• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuild Wheel Cylinders

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to rebuild the wheel cylinders and I was wondering if you can do that just pulling the brake drums. In the TM it looks like they always remove the hub. I can't tell from the pictures if there is enough room to get the brake shoes off.

The seals don't leak and the axles ran cool on the 400+ mile recovery so I wasn't going to pull the hubs if not necessary.

hippiedude

I don`t know about the M35s but on the GMCs the drum is part of the hub . Altough the GMC dums are two peace drums I couldn`t get them apart . If the seals are good you shouldn`t have to replace them , but you will want to repack the bearings anyway .... Just make sure you eat your weaties before you latch on to those drums :shock: .... Good luck ...... Tim

badgmc56

If you are going to rebuild the wheel cylinders, this is a good time to inspect the bearings, repack them and change seals . Also inspect brake shoes and drums. Do this all in one shot and you will be good to go for a while. Gives a great piece of mind when taking long trips too.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake drums and hubs are 2-piece, but usually come off as one. You might be able to just pull the drum, but no way to hold the bolts from turning on the inside of the drum.

rlwm211

What timing. I am currently in the process of doing a complete replacement of all of my wheel cylinders. I bought new since I could not get the kits and also because I did rebuild one, and decided with dealing with all 6 wheel hub locations, I would replace the rest.

I would suggest you get the proper bearing nut socket. I believe it is OTC 1907, but I would research the site to be sure. The bearing nuts are 3" - 8 sided.

I am also repacking all the bearings and inspecting and replacing seals when necessary. Remember the cork seal in the keyway!

I estimate I could do 4 a day in terms of time, but my body says two is enough. I am replacing wheel cylinders, packing the bearings, doing a major brake adjustment and bleeding the brake system after each wheel.

TM9-2320-209-20-3-2 is the one you need to check out for the proceedure on the brake adjustment and bearing adjustments. Go to the Deuce forum and it is in the Deuce FAQ section.

One other "gotta have" tool for the deuce is a torque multiplier wrench for the lug nuts. After using one, I vowed I would not venture into the lug nuts without one. It just makes the job so much easier.

Hope this helps

RL

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up pulling the hubs. It's not that big a deal.

My wheels cylinders are not rebuildable so I odered new ones for OD Iron. I honed one for about 30 minutes and didn't get it smooth. Maybe the dingleball hone from NAPA will do it, but it costs the equivalent of two new wheel cylinders so I just bit the bullet.

I'm also replacing all the rubber brake hoses. They were hard and it's cheap insurance.

On a side note... Why do they not run wet bearings in the rear axles? I know there has to be a reason..... .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On a side note... Why do they not run wet bearings in the rear axles? I know there has to be a reason..... .
1. The deuce axle housing doesn't have gear oil high enough to constantly lube the axle bearings. Filling it high enough to lube the bearings would be so overfull it would constantly be forcing gear oil out past the seals.

2. Deep water fording issues.

Barrman

Pulling the drums after pulling both tires off just makes a lot more work. Leave the tires on, pull the axle and bearings. Set the hub/drum/tires on a furniture dolly or something else with wheels and just roll it away. Way easier.

However, if this is your first time to work on the truck. Go ahead and take everything apart like you should just so you know of any possible broken parts hidden inside there.

rlwm211

If you are doing a brake adjustment it is almost essential to pull the tires in my opinion. Also you are handling about 400 pounds of tires and hub as opposed to the tires by themselves and the hub by itself.
Personally, I would rather handle the separate parts as opposed to finagling a way to manipulate the heavy combination of the HUB/DRUM and both tires.

Just my humble opinion.

RL

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought it might be better to have it all apart so I could pull the cover off the brake drum to adjust the brake shoes. Plus I want to clean everything up real well. There are all kinds of dried garbage on the outside of the hubs/brake drums.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks