• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent work and upgrades

WatchDawg

Well, So far have done the following since I got my never ending project (it's a labor of love). Figure i'd post an update. Still have a bit more to do but hopefully she will be good as new by end of summer and ready for upgrades and winter. Any info / advice is welcomed.

Trips I've done so far
-----------------------
<offroading>
-George wash. national forest
-Western MD mountain camping
-Appalachian mountain camping
-Blizzard of last year (rescued a few first responders and neighbors)

<events>
-local burn event (like burning man, if you all want i'll throw up some pictures, let people draw on it with chalk, was pretty amazing)

Replaced so far
-------------------------------------
-New battery's
- New drivers alt
-passenger alt (getting rebuilt at local shop i trust, they used to work on same m1009's local narc unit had)
-Added 4 battery(s) in back for extra power
-New tires
-New break pads
-Rewired headlights / signals into ammo can switch box I made
-heater core
-Accelerator cable replaced

Next Steps
--------------------------------------
-Replace water pump / upgrade hd clutch fan (spray on passenger's side and blows through coolant)
-Take apart dash, clean, replace bulbs with some nice superbright red leds (can't see speedo atm, i use a phone to determine speed at night)
-Replace glow plugs (don't know when it was done last, just to be safe)
-Replace starter (don't trust most electronics on it anymore)
-Replace glow plug circuit card
-Get parking break cable re-run (had to cut when it locked up in middle of the city)
-replace vent windows (both broke)
-seal up all leaks (leaks when it rains sometimes)
-Power steering bracket has a crack in it , may have to goto john at hillbilly wizard for that one.
-Upgrade / replace ball joints + shocks + leafsprings and a 2 inch' lift while i'm at it.

Future upgrades after everything is good and sound
--------------------------------------------------------
-Run all 12v to a relay system I built and have it run to an android to give me touch screen control over all electronics
-Run voltmeters to everything to spot problems before it dies (again) example alt 1 - voltmeter - relay | alt 2 -> voltmeter -> relay
-Install 360 camera system to record and don't have to worry about windows
-Get a vic 1 - intercom + some vhf / wifi / lte antenna's
-Install Cat air cleaner in air intake.
-Weld up a roof rack

Again, a labor of love, hoping once the summer's done All necessary upgrades will be done and my baby will be running with no future issues, since I"m replacing so much I tend to know what goes wrong with it does at least.

fitz

Sounds like you got a lot of work done.
Where did you buy the throttle cable? How did it fit?

WatchDawg

If i remember correctly, Napa, fit ok, I had to zip tie it as it didn't seem to want to stay in the attachment arm on the engine block, but no further issues since then.

WatchDawg

So, Got got my alt replaced, and apprently my gen 1 bulb is out , so the guy was nice enough to show me how to make a bypass for that, basically comming out of the alt going into a bulb and hook one wire upto the ignition source. I just have to remember to remove it before parking. Temp fix till next week when I have a few days off to take the dash apart and repalce bulb.

For added fun on the way into work today, had both alt belts break, Need a new power steering pump bracket, Mine is cracked >>

cucvrus

You can reach up and change the bulbs from under the dash. No need to take the entire dash cluster apart. And a word to the wise. i have been taking the clusters apart from the front lately and leaving them i place. Less chance of breaking that brittle blue/green cluster shell housing. Easy to put LED bulbs in place or 194 or 168 what ever you want. But it makes it easier to get everything working with the cluster in place. Good Luck. Do as you wish. Just wanted to give you that little tip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks