• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote car starter

Lazboytt

Hello

I’m new here and just picked up an m998.
Anyone ever install a remote car starter on one? Trying to find one that is a 24v setup or a work around to make one work. I have been searching for days with no luck. Hope this is not a duplicate post.

Your help is appreciated

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might find one.
But if not you would need a 12 volts going to a 12 volts relay with the 24 volts coming off that relay.

orgnal

Hello

Anyone ever install a remote car starter on one? Trying to find one that is a 24v setup or a work around to make one work. I have been searching for days with no luck. Hope this is not a duplicate post.

Your help is appreciated
I think summit racing has one ...

McReddy

Lazboytt

Hello

Your help is appreciated
I talked to summit racing last night with no luck. With regards to timers I believe most systems for diesel have a programmable option for timed delay.
i was thinking about the relay option but than you would also need a converter from 24 to 12 so the system would know it’s running.

I have found alarm systems that are 24v but no remote starters yet.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I just don’t know that a 20 plus year old diesel needs a remote start.
I would want to make sure I had oil pressure and everything sounded like it is supposed to when I crank it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

When i had a 3speed trans, i left the shifter in gear when parked. A remote start would not work unless it was in neutral.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming the above (a delay, neutral, etc):
1. You could do a bluetooth solution going to a Raspberry Pi controller. There are numerous open-source projects for all sorts of actuators.
2. People get hung up around 24/12. technically, the lowest tech solution would be to fire a solenoid which would close the power circuit with a second one to close the ignition circuit a short while after. Heck, the circuit could even monitor the go-ahead signal for starting.
3. A higher tech solution would be to establish in protected parallel an entirely new power-start sequence.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it. Unique but I can think of 20 other Hmmwv things to spend my time and money on. This is too much of an edge case. Instead, buy a $36 block heater, walk out and start it and go on down the road.