• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REO OA331 Rear Main Seal

johnson

I think that I need to change the rear main seal on a REO OA331 engine in a '61 REO M35. I can’t find a TM that references the OA331, and I know some of you have had experience with these engines. Are the seals even still available? Is it a one piece, two piece, rope seal, lip seal?
I don't even know for sure that it is the rear main leaking. There is no oil leaking from inside the bell housing, and with other engines that I have had with bad rear main seals, the fly wheel slings oil while running. The oil appears to be running down the front of the bell housing, but not coming out of the hole at the bottom. I know this because I attached a hose to the bell housing and verified that no oil came out while oil did run down the front of the bell housing. What is the likelihood of it just being a bad oil pan gasket vs. a bad rear main seal?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Barrman

The TM's are posted under the "resources" link at the top of the page. You want the ones that say "pre 1964" for the M35. They cover Gassers and multi's.

Check your rear valve cover with your finger for fresh oil. Mine does the same thing when it is mad at me for not driving it enough.

AR-MOG-GEDDON

Thanks for the input. This is actualy my truck, Johnson and I are trying to get the oil leak sorted out. I may pull the valve cover this week to adjust the valves, and I may seal up the oil pan also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks