• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace M939 Front Axle Seals and Boots DIY

Ford Mechanic

Click go advanced, then manage attachments, add files, choose files, then choose the place your pics are (ex. drive E for SD card) select pic, and press upload. I normally don't do more than 2 or 3 at a time. And a good Internet connection is a requirement. Ones that cut in and out or are painfully slow will have a hard time.

sed6

Fantastic pics! Looks like you have a nice place to work on it as well. Can I bring my up and do it there? My seal went out this week.

acesneights1

Questions:
Which TM did you use ? I am terrible at navigating them.
Also how did you finally get the retainer out. Did you have to pull the other side ?
Where did you source your parts and were they new or NOS ?
Thanks.

brazengoat06

Funny enough I tried to go back and find the tm and couldn't lol I used a slide hammer and the screw on adapter of the two jaw puller without the jaws. You insert it into the inside of the tube on the other side of the retainer and pop out the ring. I used no parts

acesneights1

So looking at this, the knuckle , king pins and Knuckle boot don't need to be messed with if just doing an axle shaft seal ?

Ford Mechanic

Correct, but if it was mine being I was that far in I would pull the rest of it to inspect and clean the king pins, and replace the boot. I think the oil would contaminate the rubber boot and lead to that failing prematurely. Besides you'll never find a easier time to change that boot, go with a 1 piece since you have it apart. I've put 3 of the zippered ones on in the past 2 years and man they're a pain. I ended up having to sew the big clamp on to the boot to get it installed.

Ford Mechanic

This needs to be a sticky !!
There is one in the M35 section and it might be a sticky, that is very good with pics. They are really close to the same with the differences being some bolt and nut sizes, a different seal or 2, air brakes verses hydro brakes. I've done both size trucks. Oh yeah the 5 ton parts are much heavier.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks