• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip - Las Vegas to OKC

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plans finally firming up.

Picking up my soon to be M1007 (M1029) from the National Park Service. 1990 3/4ton 4x4 Suburban, 350, manual 3sp, dual A/C. My 7K mile 6.2 will fit nicely.

My son and I are flying to Vegas on Jan 6th and heading back to OKC via I-40. Hopefully the weather doesn't kick in and close the interstate forcing me to take the I-10 southern route. That would send me thru Tucson and the airplane graveyard.:cool:

Not spending awhole lot of time, but looking for SS members along the way in case Mr Murphy tags along.

I want to thank Airbornebandsman for storing it for me.

Warthog

Attachments

Last edited:

Happyland1410

Hi Warthog,

That looks like a fun new project!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I've been in some pretty good snow events on that stretch of I-40 and they didn't close it so we will think good thoughts for you.

It probably wouldn't help too much, but if you get back close to Oklahoma and need help give me a call.

If you survive TSA on the flight out, the rest of the trip should be smooth sailing :wink:

Alredneck

Banned
Have a safe trip! I am a lil to far east on I40. But you never know where I will be on a given day. Please check your PM box as I sent one a week or so ago! :)

Just left the in laws place in Oak Creek canyon, had about 6" of snow on the ground there, just a dusting here in Sedona. The tourist will be taking pictures out the driver side windows in the morning and crossing the center line like crazy. My father in law was told last nite not to park his 2wd grocery go getter f-250 in the lower lot at there condo, well he didn't listen and I could not drive it up the hill. I'll be loading my 4x4 up with a pallet of portland in the morning to put in his bed for traction, flat landersaua
As for the MV show, all I know is my daughter is playing in a soccer tournament in Phonics that weekend, the wife keeps me on a pretty short leash so........
Warthog, you should have smooth sailing on I-40, they keep it on there short list if there's any sign of weather. Good luck and call if I can be of help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone, thanks for the offers. You never know how it will be with an unknown vehicle

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the weather will cooperate this week. The trip should be between snow storms. :grin:

Shipping out some spare parts and tools ahead of the trip. Don't want the TSA to get too friendly.

Weather in Las Vegas

Good luck Warthog, I have some tools,air compressor,battery charger, generator,towstrap,jumper cables, etc if you need them. Keep in touch. elk
Warthog, Just for your info the lower hills just outside of las Vegas had snow on them this morning and Henderson which is higher and southeast of Vegas. Pahrump,NV which is approximately 40 or so miles southwest of Vegas had 6" of snow this morning. The low in Vegas was 32. Make sure you bring some winter jackets,etc. Just a suggestion. later elkhunter

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meeting up with Airbornbandsman at the Vegas airport tomorrow. Picking up the Suburban at Nellis AFB and then meeting Choll at the Autozone to troubleshoot his CUCV charging problem. Anyone else need some CUCV electrical advice/assistance while i'm there?....LOL

The weather looks like it will cooperate until I get back to the Texas.Oklahoma area.

I'm hoping Gimpy, Westy and Westy's wife make it thru Oklahoma before I head out.

Meeting up with Airbornbandsman at the Vegas airport tomorrow. Picking up the Suburban at Nellis AFB and then meeting Choll at the Autozone to troubleshoot his CUCV charging problem. Anyone else need some CUCV electrical advice/assistance while i'm there?....LOL

The weather looks like it will cooperate until I get back to the Texas.Oklahoma area.

I'm hoping Gimpy, Westy and Westy's wife make it thru Oklahoma before I head out.
Hey Warthog! Hope you are going by way of Laughlin on the way home. If assistance is required feel free to call or email me. Rest and refreshments available here. Have a safe journey in any event. Have a good day. elkhunter

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heading to the airport.
Thanks everyone for the standy support along the route.

Pictures to follow.

I was hoping that Gimp and Westy would make before I left but no such luck. I'm sure my trip won't be as exciting as thiers........:grd:

Barrman

Warthog called around 1700 my time with an update. They were in the truck and crossing Hoover Dam. It runs fine and seems to be happy around 55-60 mph. More than that and the front end feels not so nice and a few shakes and rattles show up.

The clutch has to be all the way to the floor and barely lets the shifter to be operated. He is confident it will make it home and isn't going to mess with trying to adjust it.

They plan for Kingman or Flaggstaff tonight with a Grand Canyon side tour tomorrow and then heading straight down I-40 to OKC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks