• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip - Las Vegas to OKC

M813A1

Well you better get a move on and do not dilliy dally it is suppose to rain in Oklahoma moving in from the west and that is changing to freezing rain and ice and snow late tomorrow going into Sunday with more of the same !!! Good Luck Be Safe ! !! AT least M105 has the wrecker if he needs it and is close enough ???

Las Vegas to Oklahoma City

Warthog called around 1700 my time with an update. They were in the truck and crossing Hoover Dam. It runs fine and seems to be happy around 55-60 mph. More than that and the front end feels not so nice and a few shakes and rattles show up.

The clutch has to be all the way to the floor and barely lets the shifter to be operated. He is confident it will make it home and isn't going to mess with trying to adjust it.

They plan for Kingman or Flaggstaff tonight with a Grand Canyon side tour tomorrow and then heading straight down I-40 to OKC.
Well I think he's going to beat the weather you guys if he doesn't make too many stops alomg the way. Hope he makes it. Thanks for the update Barrman! It sure is nice to know you have friends along the way to help if needed. Thats what is great about this website and its members. Hope to catch you sometime Barrman and all the others that were on hand just in case Warthog had troubles along the way. Take care and have a good day. elkhunter

Return trip from Vegas to Oklahoma City

Well you better get a move on and do not dilliy dally it is suppose to rain in Oklahoma moving in from the west and that is changing to freezing rain and ice and snow late tomorrow going into Sunday with more of the same !!! Good Luck Be Safe ! !! AT least M105 has the wrecker if he needs it and is close enough ???
Howdy M813A1, looks like you've got Warthog moving faster. I think he'll make it before the weather sours! Hope so. Have a good day. elkhunter

Barrman

He called again at 1000 my time this morning. Sounded like they were rolling down the highway. They made Flaggstaff last night and hopes for central NM today.

Truck is running great. Headlight problems though. Low beams working good on one side and high beams bleeding over to dim low beams the rest of the time. I told him to read the TM.

We agreed that a funky ground was probably part or all of the problem either under the dash or at the valence. It seems one of the blinker indicator lights comes on when the headlights are on too. He replaced the light switch because they are cheap and easy just to be sure he would have lights. It is more of a curiosity than a problem at this point.

Oh, no Grand Canyon side trip. Weather was a concern, but mostly him and his son agreed it would be better to float down the river and look up. Rather than peering over the rim. Summer trip in the works.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tim for the updates. We rolled in around 0300 this morning, wanting to beat any weather coming in. Looks like that was a wise choice as we and having snow right now. Makes for icy bridges.

On MAJOR issue with the truck was that the heater core had been bypassed. So no heat for 1120 miles and temps between 10 and 40 degrees. In a Deuce that isn't a major issue as the engine will heat the cab, but on a GM the vents bypass the engine and only cold air enters the cab. Luckily we had heavy coats, blankets and gloves.

Pics to follow tonite as I am working on a stopped up toilet.

Thanks everyone for the moral support.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it ok. No heat, ugg..

rlwm211

Glad you made it home with the Burb. I have a 91 and it is the 350/4L80E 3/4 4x4 and I am well pleased with it. I went to Colorado Springs to get it and drove it home. Same problem, pounding front tires. Mine came over the mountains from a life in Southern CA so it had to have most of the rubber parts changed or renewed. Even so, it is a true beast, and looks great in Camo. Here is a shot of my "M1007"

RL

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to thank Airbornebandsman for all of his help with this recovery. My hats off to you.

After recovering from the drive and having to fix the toilet when I got home, I finally have time to post the details and some pics.

The flight out was uneventful. The TSA didn't even want to check my junk. :shock:

AIrbornebandsman picked me and my son up at the airport, drove us across town. After picking up a battery and an alternaror, we finally made it to his house on base.

After an hour of replacing parts and checking fluids she fired right up. :D

We said our goodbyes and it was off to WalMart to meet CHOLL and attempt to diagnose his CUCV charging issues. We think we traced it down to a marginal fusable link on the 12v terminal block. He will check it after he gets back from Seattle.

It was time to hit the strip. Nothing like driving down Las Vegas Blvd in a US Government "For Official Use Only" vehicle....LOL

First stop was on the south end at the Famious "Welcome to Vegas" sign. Then we went back to Fremont Street to check out the crowds. The Consumer Electronic Show was in town so there where alot of geeks walking around.

Finally went to bed around 3:00am.

Then next day we hit all the hotels on the strip. Nothing like being in Paris in the middle of winter.

After all the walking, it was time to head home. We stopped by the "Gold & Silver Pawnshop" to see in Big Hoss or Chumlee wanted to buy the truck but they weren't there. We where hoping to be featured on Pawn Stars....

Stopped by the Hoover Dam and the guards just waved us thru. Great being in a Gov Vehicle.

For the most part the drive home was uneventfull except the hour parked on the interstate east of Flagstaff. That trucker had a bad day.

Hit a few tourist traps. Stood on the Corner in Winslow, Az. It was a site to see.

Great to be home and looking forward to the next advenure. Stay Tuned.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics.

Nothing like a 1120 mile trip with no heat. At least our b*lls weren't blue like Gimps

We saw these bomb trucks in Kingman. The lable said they just came from the Sand Box.

Total fuel cost was $257.50. Alot less than Westy's....:p

And I came home a winner. I had bet $2.00 and came home with $2.50

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pictures of the road trip! I didn't get picked for jury duty so I certainly could have made it. Of course my wife would have been on the other side of the jury box after she killed me for blowing our life savings in Vegas (or on another MV). Besides, I wouldn't have been much help huddled in a sleeping bag in the back seat for the ride home.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep--- was just there in Vegas myself a few weeks ago and I'll sure vouch for ol' Sgt Mik--- he's about one the finest! And now maybe he'll have a little more room around the house for more trailers and such--- lol!

Anyway, this is a great travel-log Warthog, enjoyed the pictures and always glad for those happy endings too. But I didn't hear any mention of breakfast at The Iron Skillet on the way out of town. About the worst/best road food you'll get on I-15--- hands down! (iron stomach reccomended)

BTW; after our Vegas trip here's a few pics of what we came home to; that beautiful high desert weather you guys just missed...

Best of luck on your project...

Attachments