• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust below windshield

randygk

I started prepping our Deuce for paint and have to deal with the couple large rust holes in the vertical piece just below the windshield. Is this piece available and able to be replaced? I've done body work before and have welder/tools. We have another Deuce that has a cover plate over the same area. It looks like it was tacked over the piece of sheetmetal, bent at the top to follow the existing piece, appears to drop down to the cowl and stops short of the windshield hinge mount on each side. Maybe easier to just cut and weld new metal.
Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It is not an easy part to replace. It would have to be cut off another can and welded in place. It is part of the cab.

shadowrwolf

im not too worried about welding, dose not look like it is much more than a few tac welds on the corners, is it a full bead in side the cab scealing it in there? on mine it only looks like the outer part is damaged so i might get away with just cutting it right below the wind shield and welding a new one in place and not even fighting with the old weld inside the cab

shadowrwolf

cool sounds like this will be my second or third project when i get back from vacation i will do a step by step for it when i do

shadowrwolf

so what do you guys think that have had this problem before, Eastern surplus guys offered me a body for 500 with a good cowl and bad rockers.

-i could take the scrap body and chop the part i need and weld it in
-could also just pay for a new cab and just swap them
-or just fabercate a patch and weld it in from inside the cab and fill the rusted out spots once the patch is in place.

shadowrwolf

well then patching it is, should look good from the out side when done but will defiantly be able to see the patch from the inside

randygk

What I did

hadn't checked this post for a while,
I had a metal shop bend a piece of sheetmetal same thickness as the swiss cheese piece and radius it slightly smaller to fit over the existing piece. I then arced it to fit the cowl, used weld thru primer, used rosettes to tack it to the top of the piece, tacked it at the back top, and tacked it at the cowl joint. I then used filler to make a very small fillet at the cowl joint. This was done after clean up and rust removal and preping any rusted metal that could not be removed. I have since painted, but since I'm doing the whole truck I haven't put the windshield back on yet. but since the metal piece was only .070 thick (if my memory is correct) I don't think it will be a problem. May not want to fold easily, but I don't ever plan on that. I have some pics if anyone might be interested.
Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks