• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty Custy resto

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guy this is my 1968 AMGC M35A2 Drop side bed.
I am currently trying to restore back to Vietnam era. This is what I have been doing lately, I have chipped most of the past 4 decades of paint off her and, I have been trying to patch her rust spots as good as possible. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a Up date, I have a-lot of the paint chipped off and the metal chemically prep. As you can see the front cowl were the window frame meets, I have a-lot of rust holes threw the metals. I plan on patching the cowl from the back side. I have some of the other parts prep will send more picture.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just got my 8 Gallons of Gloss OD green paint today from rapcoparts.com, I will attach a picture of the color, also I brought the decals so their on the way too. Today I did not get as much as i wanted to do today but sometimes that is the way it is. I was able to get all of the rear tires off and block up the rearend. After taking off the tires i lined them up along the fence. Holly crape there is a lot of tires on my old girl. through out last week i stripped and prep the doors, hinges, smoke stack guard + brace, turning signal + housing, drop side bed bolts, tool box, and a couple of other misc things. i will post some picture tomorrow. This next week i need finish up with wire brushing off the rest of the 35 years of caked on grease and dirt on the wheel hubs. I need to also sand down some of the wonderful army desert paint job that some PVT. Joe caked on with runs everywhere in one hour before he went to eat hot chow. He couldn't even tape off the gauges or the rear cab window. I know already that pvt. Joe had to hand brush the paint do to lack of equipment and government cut back on air. However poor Joe is not the only one to blame, the motor pool Sargent had to take a coffee break while Joe best friend Spc. Dick was in charge to do a quick inspection before letting the grunts check them out for transport to the range. The only reason i know this to be true is i was the dumb grunt checking the truck out and even dummer one that brought it back and had the motor pool sgt. screaming at me for ruining his joe paint job. sorry about the PTSD kicks in time to time with ranting raving, haha. i should be able to get everything primed on her next weakened shot with paint the fallowing.

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thank you, yea i was trying to get mine as close to the Vietnam era as possible i am going paint the decals and i have some netting to drape over the front here like the pic

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That what looks like netting going from the front to the high point is really a cable with tattle tales, the cables are used to carry cross road light cable/wire UP OVER the truck instead of though the windshield. The bad guys at times used a light cable that would rip a angle iron wire cutter right off, thay also at times, depending where, would rig a light cable to drop down

seabeeut

looking forward to the paint pic's mine is going for paint in the spring
and I'am thinking of using that color

dmetalmiki

Snap

Like the erra pictures muchly.

I see one of the deuces loaded with a fork truck...(2 the max...!).

p.s. I noticed the wrecker in the last pictures was "leaning!!" towards your worked on deuce! (and was that water from one of the headlights?)...I think it wants some Paint and attention as well..Brit. humour being what it is this is intended in honest Humour only. Good luck with your work..it seems very detailed and thorough. looking forward to seeing the finished product. good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks