• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifter knob removal

Jimma

I know this sounds crazy and I must look stupid for not figuring it out but I want to remove my shifter knob in my m35a2 and put something else there that looks cooler. However, I do not want to destroy the original taking it off. Can some one suggest a way to remove it. I have tried unscrewing it by hand, with a strap and a chain type gizmo without success. How can I get it removed without tearing it up? Any help would be appreciated.:)

Westech

CPL
use a rubber strap wrench. There about 10 bucks from Autozone or who ever... Its like a chain pipe wrench but it uses a rubber strap. We use them on things we dont want marks on like SS and Chrome parts.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Did you check to see if there is a "Jam nut" under the knob holding it in place?

You might apply some heat with a propane torch....(very carefully) to expand the metal bushing that is inside the plastic knob. Get it warm and spray some Liquid Wrench or other lub onto it...the heat will suck it into the threads.

joshgar8

I had to use a actual pipe wrench on mine. I did pretty much destroy the knob, but with its age the plastic was almost like powder. Even with the foot long wrench it was still tight as D!cks headband....

littlebob

Did you check to see if there is a "Jam nut" under the knob holding it in place?

You might apply some heat with a propane torch....(very carefully) to expand the metal bushing that is inside the plastic knob. Get it warm and spray some Liquid Wrench or other lub onto it...the heat will suck it into the threads.
I second wreckermans post. Don't use to much heat and let it cool after the penetrating oil for a while.

Another Ahab

I had to use a actual pipe wrench on mine. I did pretty much destroy the knob, but with its age the plastic was almost like powder. Even with the foot long wrench it was still tight as D!cks headband....
Scientifically, is Dick's Hatband:

- MORE tight, or

- LESS tight

Than the fit of a Gnat's A**?

measure.gif

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks