• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solenoid M35A3

Hoefler

Gary,
I did clean the check valve-she was super gummed up. The prime issue came from replacing all of the O-rings on the fuel lines that exit from the fuel filter base. Mine had a simple leak that became a larger one when I chased it. There are two sizes of O-rings on the fittings. When I was chasing the leak, I dirupted all of the hardened O-rings. I basically started from scratch and remove the fuel filter base and fittings. Cleaned and replaced all of the O-rings. When I did this, all of the fuel in these lines drained-whole system was filled with air.
I now have a solid tight fuel system. To keep any bacteria from growing in system, I used a product called Biocide for diesel-little shot in the tank killed all of the bacteria. I should have a worry free fuel system now.
Plan on doing this to all of my trucks.

glcaines

Sorry Pete. I now remember - I must be getting old. I should probably put some biocide in mine as well, although I haven't seen any problems yet.

Hoefler

Gary,
No worries. I am happy to remember how to get back home sometimes!
Reporting success on fuel leak!!!! Very happy. This leak deal drove me crazy. I understand the fuel system in an around the filter. Replaced the O-rings-all of them and cleaned cleaned cleaned. She is dry no. Now am going to freshen up solenoid disc.
Through this I have learned a fast way to prime one of these engines with minimal cranking.
Did put AVM lock outs on it. Steers easier. I have cranked up my steering pressure regulator-steers almost as good as a 5 ton.
Its a good day.
Pete:jumpin:

Hoefler

Solenoid is done. Was able to remove solenoid while starter was still in truck. Easy to remove. Flipped the copper piece-was unused on opposite side. Dressed the terminals and re-installed. Works great. Truck is done-no issues.

glcaines

Solenoid is done. Was able to remove solenoid while starter was still in truck. Easy to remove. Flipped the copper piece-was unused on opposite side. Dressed the terminals and re-installed. Works great. Truck is done-no issues.
I'm glad to see that all went well. I've had no starter problems, but probably only a matter of time.

skinnyR1

I am experiencing the same problems. Relay and solenoid clicks, but I get nothing else. The starter and this motor are NOS, the truck has been started maybe 20 times.

I took off the solenoid with the starter in the truck. I opened it up, flipped the disc. Filed the legs down a bit and reinstalled. Same problem still exists.

I will now take it off again. The two posts must be a slightly different height, as I know I am getting power to it, and it does engage. But no power comes out.

skinnyR1

So i continue to scratch my head on this one. I have taken the solenoid off a couple of times at this point, and no longer think the issue is rooted there.

By the third time reinstalling after inspection, the truck wouldn't turn over still. I crossed the starter connection points to spin the starter, and it did. After that, the starter worked fine again.

Would it be possible that there is a dead spot on the starter? I have read a couple of threads that indicate problematic issues with these starters. Mine is on a crate engine, NOS, so it maybe has a couple dozen starts on it at this point. I am thinking it is just bad in one spot.

Hoefler

I had an issue with mine several years ago. I took the solenoid apart to inspect the large diameter copper disc. Look at the TM's on this-you may have to simply scrub up the copper a bit to make good contact. It may have corrosion from sitting.
I cleaned my disc and truck turns over every time-no issues. I have a thread on this on SS.
Pete

skinnyR1

Hello Hoefler,
I have indeed read your thread. I thought that was the issue as well. But my copper disk is brand new, since the starter is also basically brand new as well.

I think my issue lays elsewhere.

Hoefler

OK
I discovered something interesting with my A3 after I installed a battery cut off switch. With either the positive or negative shut off (again-cant remember how I installed it), when its in the off position, I still get lights to come on. I am also able to get starter to "click" on and off. I am thinking that if you don't have a super good ground, stuff will still work to some lesser degree, but not enough for a high amp thing like a starter. Check your grounds (big and small cables) and make sure they are good.
Pete