• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Fuel Filter Questions and comments about my terrible week.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is truly a lifter problem, you need to replace it immediately before Diesel fuel gets beyond the diaphragm and thins out the oil and you score your cylinders and bearings or even seize the engine.
That’s impossible, the vent on an m998 before the mods were done would contaminate the closest geared hub and maybe the front diff.
After the mods to the vent system, the excess fuel is sent back to the fuel tank filler neck in an isolated vent line dedicated the fuel pump vent.

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Since this thread is now something of a repository of fuel system info, above is the video showing lift pump replacement including the plate.

The two fuel pump bolts are 7/16. The threaded fuel hose nut is 5/8.

I'm an idiot and left the switch on so it's stranded where I left it and I'm working on it in direct sun :(

Lift pump is out. The plate is still in place. Any difficulties and I'll just pull the plate as well.

Hopefully I'll be updating this with further progress later this evening.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Since this thread is now something of a repository of fuel system info, above is the video showing lift pump replacement including the plate.

The two fuel pump bolts are 7/16. The threaded fuel hose nut is 5/8.

I'm an idiot and left the switch on so it's stranded where I left it and I'm working on it in direct sun :(

Lift pump is out. The plate is still in place. Any difficulties and I'll just pull the plate as well.

Hopefully I'll be updating this with further progress later this evening.
Don't ya HATE when ya do something, THEN realize you could've done it different/better? UGH! I feel for ya, in plumbing, that can be quite often. Looking forward to the update!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New pump is not exactly like the old pump. No breather (presumably not needed) and the fuel inlet is facing the wrong way.

Pump is mounted. Hard line is connected. Contemplating ways to make a 180* turn to connect the soft line.

The drive rod from the cam is truly cursed. Getting it up and out of the way is an exercise in patience. I kept it out of the way with a piece of fuel line that I pulled once i got both fuel pump bolts started. It's probably less trouble to pull the plate.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New pump is not exactly like the old pump. No breather (presumably not needed) and the fuel inlet is facing the wrong way.

Pump is mounted. Hard line is connected. Contemplating ways to make a 180* turn to connect the soft line.

The drive rod from the cam is truly cursed. Getting it up and out of the way is an exercise in patience. I kept it out of the way with a piece of fuel line that I pulled once i got both fuel pump bolts started. It's probably less trouble to pull the plate.
Sounds like you got the wrong pump.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you got the wrong pump.
Three different part numbers are given as being equivalent. This was the one with 0030 in it (memory).

Wrong pump was my first thought. But the hard outlet line lined up perfectly. The soft line wouldn't be an issue other than it isn't where it was and there's insufficient slack to make the change.

Breather seems trivial.

I suspect that minor details have been revised multiple times since 1986.

We'll find out.

Correct any misconceptions I have...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like wrong pump AND use grease or Vaseline to keep pushrod up in place. It harmlessly washes out once you start the engine.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could never get grease to hold up the rod, so I used a hacksaw blade with a bend in it that allows enough clearance to get the bolts started. A longer piece of feeler stock might work as well.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could never get grease to hold up the rod, so I used a hacksaw blade with a bend in it that allows enough clearance to get the bolts started. A longer piece of feeler stock might work as well.
Did you remove the rod and grease it or try to stick some grease on it without removing the rod?
I have never had any issue when removing the rod and greasing it including the rod end where it contacts the cam.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel line worked pretty well.

A hacksaw blade was what the paperwork that came with the pump recommended.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you remove the rod and grease it or try to stick some grease on it without removing the rod?
I have never had any issue when removing the rod and greasing it including the rod end where it contacts the cam.
It's been a decade since last I did it, but I don't think I've ever removed the rod.