• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring 2015 to-do list for the Deuce

tcruwithme

Well, winter has finally arrived in Minnesota. In October, we had warmer than normal temperatures. So far, in November, we have colder than normal temperatures. Since my deuce sits outside, projects have come to an end this year. Bummer. Here's a couple recent pictures of my truck for reference:

20141030_132700[1].jpg 20141030_132729[1].jpg 20141030_153320[1].jpg 20141030_153338[1].jpg

20141030_153357[1].jpg 20141030_153415[1].jpg 20141030_153432[1].jpg 20141030_153502[1].jpg

So, as soon as it gets warm enough next spring, here's what's on deck for my truck.

(1) Get those convoy lights wired up. I have the correct wire kit, the switch, and the relay. I also found a diagram in one of the 5-ton parts manuals that shows how everything hooks up. Well, most everything. There are a couple of unknowns that I need to figure out in the spring.
(2) Get the horn working again. I installed a power steering system out of an M39 series 5-ton truck (an M818 tractor to be specific) earlier this year. During that process, my horn was disconnected. The new steering column wants the new-style horn kit, but even after I hooked that up, there is something still wrong. I'll start in the spring by testing the horn circuit breaker, and then testing the solenoid for power.
(3) Swap the tail lights on my M105A2 for a pair of LED tail lights I got from Lt. Dan here on SS.
(4) Install new mirrors and mirror brackets that I got from MWMUELS here on SS. They came in desert tan. I now have them repainted with 383 Green, and they look great.
(5) Install a 90-degree turn into a short 45-degree angle to re-position the air intake cap so that it sits horizontal and closer to the cab.
(6) Install a remote brake reservoir. I know, that's probably the first thing I should have done to the truck when I got it two years ago.
(7) I want to find a set of fiberglass racks (all four) for my M105A2. I also want a three-color camo cover for the M105A2, but that may be wishful thinking.
(8 ) I want to finish the bed of the deuce with U-Pol Raptor bed liner. I already have this stacked up downstairs, so I just need the time and good weather to get this done.
(9) There is something wrong with one of my air wiper motors. That should be an easy fix with a good take-off replacement - hopefully. Hopefully tie0644 up in Blaine, MN has one for me.
(10) New window regulator for the driver's side door. Again, I have this on hand already and just need the time.
(11) I want to swap out my C-turbo for a D-turbo.
(12) I need to replace two light bulbs in the marker lights I installed on my M105A2. I have power up to the bulb, so that should be an easy fix. I have the bulbs on the way from Erik's Military.
(13) I want to do the 2x4 mod to the M105A2 that I saw here on SS. That puts a peak under the cover so that water doesn't pool.
(14) I installed a backing plate, offset bracket, sugar scoop, and antenna mount on the truck this summer. Next spring, I want to run a CB line into the truck and get a CB working.
(15) I want to fill all the unnecessary holes in the front bumper and refinish it. I've seen more than a few photos here on SS where members make their front bumper look really clean.
(16) I need to do some rust removal and painting in the cab and on the roof. I would be open to starting with a new, un-dented roof if I can find one at a good deal.
(17) Install a coolant filter that I have on the way from Cummins Filtration. I went with the WF2121 filter ($67.04), the 256535-S bracket ($25.09), and the 3904378-S "severe duty" filter head ($20.32). I want to get this done yet this November, because I am installing it inline with the heater.
(18 ) TURN THE LICENSE PLATE AROUND and move it to the other side of the bumper!
(19) Install a speedometer adjustment unit. I got a 54RA2+20% unit in from PATC Transmissions, but it looks like the output or drive shaft needs to have material taken off, and then some sort of bushing needs to be made for the input from the vehicle side. Great.
(20) Install a block heater. I've read the infamous M35A2 Block Heater thread a couple times - and it gave me a headache. I don't care what the best way to translate Celsius to Fahrenheit is, and I don't care to debate how heat moves differently through air than through different types of liquid. This thread did point me to the Zerostart 3500025 1,000 watt frost plug heater. I just bought what I think is the last one in the known universe from an O'Reily parts store in Pine City, Minnesota.
(21) I have a set of defroster deflectors out of an A3 that I want to install into my A2. My A2 didn't come with defrost deflectors.
(22) I have a low air pressure light that I want to install - maybe to replace the annoying buzzer. This will also get done when I put in the new dash panel.
(23) I have a turbo boost gauge and a pyrometer gauge from Hewitt Industries that I want to get installed. These will go in when I install the new dash panel that I got from Jimmy Lee Davis - I'm not sure what his name is here on SS. He is cutting new dash panels that allow for two more gauges to be installed. I got the new panel, and it's been primed and painted 383 Green. Now I just need the time.
(24) Delete the manifold flame heater. I have the ether start system installed, and that works pretty good. Removing all the manifold flame heater components will clean up the look a bit.
(25) There is something wrong with my power steering. Right when you start to turn the steering wheel, the power steering doesn't kick in right away. I think this is something wit the pump. So, I'll try replacing the pump sometime this next year.
(26) I have a couple group 65 batteries in the truck that are two years old. They don't cut it now that it's cold out. I need something with better reserve for cranking. I"m not sure what to do here. I saw a cat build a custom box and put two 4D batteries in there. That might be the way to go, but I'm not sure.
(27) I want to get a pair of delineator plates installed on the back of my M105A2 trailer.
(28 ) My PTO boots need to be replaced. They literally disintegrated. I've got a pair that I got from Dan at RTC that is just waiting for warmer weather.
(29) I just noticed that I installed the delineator plates on my truck upside down. That's going to drive me crazy until I get it fixed.
(30) I want to install a set of shackle brackets on the bottom side of the front bumper.
(31) I want to install a battery cut-off switch.

So, that's my list. I put it here on SS not just to share what I am doing, but it's a great place to keep a list where you won't lose it. You might think that painting the deuce is not on the list. The paint is already pretty good, and I don't think I'll get that done next year. Everyone says that's the last thing you should do after messing around with everything else.

Is there anything else you would recommend or suggest?

Last edited:

tcruwithme

It always looks better at a distance. The CARC has been flaking in places, and I try to sand those areas and refinish them right away. The front edge of the roof and the outside window frame need rust removal and refinishing. It's a never-ending battle ...

Paint looks pretty good to me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does the antenna mount hit anything when you drop the bed side?

tcruwithme

Good eye, Clinto! It's close to hitting the corner of the gas tank - but doesn't. There is a spacer plate (11609947) and rubber seal strip (11609948 ) on the rear splash guards that stops and holds the sides when they are lowered.

Does the antenna mount hit anything when you drop the bed side?

tcruwithme

Well, I worked on my truck today in 15 degree weather. The first thing I did was to remove the 18" of snow on the roof, hood, and fenders. I wish I took a picture of the truck before I removed the snow, but I didn't think of it at the time. Then I discovered that I need better batteries. The truck sounded like it wanted to start, but quickly ran out of battery power. I put two chargers on the batteries, and an hour later, it started right up.

The two items I crossed off my 2015 to-do list were #12 and #18 from my list below. Specifically, I got the marker lights working on my M105A2. It turned out to be a grounding problem - the bulbs were fine. Also, due to popular demand, I switched the license plate so that it is right-side-up.

20141118_170316[1].jpg 20141118_170434[1].jpg

tcruwithme

Everybody seems to have an opinion on the difference in power between the C and D turbo. It seems that the majority opinion is that the D turbo has slightly more power, and it is quieter. It's not that I dislike the C turbo, but I do like the idea of slightly more power and quieter.

Why don't you like your C turbo?

tcruwithme

Well, today it was 35 degrees here in Minnesota. I got one more item crossed off my to-do list. #3 from my list below was to swap out the tail lights on my M105A2 trailer for a set of LED tail lights that I got from Lt. Dan here on SS. Here's a picture of the new LED tail light:

20141122_152601[1].jpg

I also started on another item off my list. #5 from my list below was to rotate the air intake cap. I got the 90 degree turn and the 45 degree elbow in, and I replaced the intake cap. I'm not sure how high I want it to go yet, and I didn't have the staggered band clamps that I want to connect the sections of pipe. So, I'll wait for it to get warm to finish this up. That way I can paint the band clamps right away. What do you think - how far up should the air intake cap go? Or, is it OK where it is now?

20141122_152634[1].jpg

rustystud

Well, today it was 35 degrees here in Minnesota. I got one more item crossed off my to-do list. #3 from my list below was to swap out the tail lights on my M105A2 trailer for a set of LED tail lights that I got from Lt. Dan here on SS. Here's a picture of the new LED tail light:

View attachment 528245

I also started on another item off my list. #5 from my list below was to rotate the air intake cap. I got the 90 degree turn and the 45 degree elbow in, and I replaced the intake cap. I'm not sure how high I want it to go yet, and I didn't have the staggered band clamps that I want to connect the sections of pipe. So, I'll wait for it to get warm to finish this up. That way I can paint the band clamps right away. What do you think - how far up should the air intake cap go? Or, is it OK where it is now?

View attachment 528246
How deep of water do you intend to ford ? Just a simple 90 elbow would have been just fine to keep the water and snow out of the intake.

tcruwithme

Coolant filter & delineator plates

Well, I got a few more things done off my to-do list.

#1 on my list was to get the convoy lights wired up. I got that done a couple weeks ago, but I didn't take any pictures or video. I figured everyone has seen rotating convoy lights a million times. The only part I could not find was the yellow plate for the switch. I just used an accessory plate instead.

I also got #20 done just this past weekend. That was to install a block heater. I forgot to take a picture once it was installed, but it went into the frost plug closest to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. I had to remove the air filter housing to get at it. I used a ZeroStart 3500025. I still have a bit of work to get this project finished. I ordered a Leviton 59W47 Wetguard inlet that I plan to mount to the panel below the headlight on the passenger side. Then I can wire up the block heater to the back side of that inlet box. Of course, I'll paint it 383 green to match. I'll take some pictures of that phase of the project.

20141124_203006[1].jpg 20141124_203538[1].jpg

I also got a coolant filter installed this past weekend, which was #17 off my original list. I got the idea a couple years ago from Hank's Deuce. Then this past winter I saw a picture of Lt. Dan's setup that I liked. So, I went with the Fleetguard filter, "severe duty" filter head, and mounting bracket. I put the filter inline with the line that goes to the heater, and mounted it right above the passenger side headlight. The coolant lines run really close to the turbo charger now, so I'll need to keep an eye on that.

20150321_160327[1].jpg 20150321_160335[1].jpg 20150321_160344[1].jpg 20150321_160410[1].jpg

I also installed my set of defroster deflectors that I got out of an A3. Again, I didn't take any pictures of that, as it as a quick and easy project that everyone has probably done. That was #21 off my list.

Finally, I did something about the delineator plates that I originally installed upside down. I got another set and fabricated a system for a flat mounting surface that got bolted to the splash guard. I also refinished the splash guards during this project, and everything turned out pretty good.

20150124_152052[1].jpg 20150124_152104[1].jpg 20150124_152130[1].jpg 20150124_152140[1].jpg

I think my next couple of projects is to (1) get the Peashooter speedometer adapter housing mounted and set up, (2) get my horn fixed, (3) refinish the two engine access panels - the paint is in really rough shape, and (4) swap out the steel fuel tank for an aluminum one I recently got.

Let me know what you think. I really appreciate and value the input I get from the SS members.

Last edited:

red

Looks great. With the coolant hose by the turbo a easy fix would be to take a short piece of hose that will fit over the coolant line, and zip tie it in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks