• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Damage Pic, Cranking Longer Than 30 Seconds

74M35A2

Thought I would post a photo of what happens if you hold your starter on longer than the specified 30 seconds. Brushes and armature/commutator run the hottest. Starter is a very powerful motor (6kW or so), with zero cooling. In the picture below this armature got so hot the varnish melted off the copper wiring, and that caused it to short out, draw more current, and then melted the armature wiring until it disconnected and stopped working. One low hour armature for reference. Don't use your starter to prime your fuel system. If your truck does not start in 30 seconds, stop, and figure out why.

IMG_1919.jpg

74M35A2

Yep. This was not my starter, a portion of our facility acts as a warranty return center for our product(s). I needed a few different orientated nose cones, so I tripped upon this one during disassembly, and thought to post a lesson learned.

Mos68x

I never hold mine longer than 10secs, this beast or any other vehicle. My dad taught me that a long time ago and just haven't forgotten it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks