• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter / smoke/ voltmeter ? help?

CUCV85beast

Went to the junkyard and was lucky enough to find a few things I was looking for, get in the truck and it barely starts to turn over when suddenly it stops. I tried to start it again only to see a bunch of smoke coming from the bus bar, a small red wire with a black plastic tube on it numbered 16 was melted and actually split in two.
I clamped the wire back together and tried starting it again only to hear a single click.
The voltmeter also stopped working.
What the **** happened?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the bottom most fuse in the fuse box. It will be blown.

The fusible link you described, needs to be replaced.

You may need your starter rebuilt.

CUCV85beast

The bottom most fuse is fine. The wire labeled 16 is a fusable link?thought it was but I was confused, Is the fuse sealed inside the plastic? Thought I should be able to access said fuse in link...sorry my electrical knowledge is not great.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fusible links are not repairable, you replace them.

CUCV85beast

Well I got the relays and a new fusible link, this one doesn't have the plastic tube on it tho... I'm assuming I just cut out the plastic from the original and splice this one in between. Hopefully this works.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple answer, they are color coded (your wire is red)

here's a link with good info. Fusible Links

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the whole fusible link, not just the black part. About 6".

CUCV85beast

Great, yeah I replaced the relays and the fusible link. Now the gen 2 light and voltmeter are back in action but still not starting. Think I need a new starter.