• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter wires

jim1131

These are the 3 wires that attach to the side of the starter. Unfortunately they were cut before the tag and im not sure if I actually need them, the start does work without them20211029_140659.jpg

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you need the wires. They control the solenoid (I think). I had just taken a picture of my started over the weekend, so here it is to give you an idea of what is there.

IMG_3026.jpeg

Ignore the red wire. Previous owner of my rig apparently thought RED means supplemental ground.....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you need the wires. They control the solenoid (I think). I had just taken a picture of my started over the weekend, so here it is to give you an idea of what is there.

View attachment 849250

Ignore the red wire. Previous owner of my rig apparently thought RED means supplemental ground.....
I am curious where in the schematic is (in the picture above) what looks like junction connector with three wires going to it in the upper left of this picture, it is not part of the starter or solenoid and is insulated from ground.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious where in the schematic is (in the picture above) what looks like junction connector with three wires going to it in the upper left of this picture, it is not part of the starter or solenoid and is insulated from ground.
Upper RIGHT is 6A from the battery (thickest wire), 81A (the next thicker) and 81B. This is battery hot (+).

Upper LEFT is 74A and 74B. (there are only two wires here). The wire on the SIDE of the starter (where 74 goes) is on the starter/solenoid itself and not part of the vehicle harness.

Lower MIDDLE is 7A and 30. This is the vehicle ground. (As I said, the third red wire is just an additional ground that goes to the engine block on my rig.)

6A - Battery Positive (directly to the battery)
81A - Goes to the EESS box (+)
74A - Goes to the EESS box (start)
7A - Goes to the battery Shunt which goes to the battery negative (-)

74B - This goes to the STE harness connector 'S' for diagnostics.
30 - This goes to the STE harness connection 'M' for diagnostics.
81B - This goes to the STE harness connection 'T' for diagnostics.

I know there is a way to kick in the starter from the STE connector, if I had to guess it would be connection 74 (S) and 81B (T). But I've never tried this, so I wouldn't suggest it without you verifying it.