• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Store Bought Batteries Installed- with Picture

renovate7

These are Group 24 batteries which are available every where. They are 875 CA and 700 CCA. The one on the left is a 24S with the postive terminal on the left. The battery on the right is a 24FS with the postive terminal on the right. This allowed the truck's cables to go to their original locations. I bought the longest 2 gauge cable they had and cut off what I needed to make the cable in the middle. There is a 2x4 laying flat on each side, one on it's edge in the front and back and 2 on end in the middle. I'm going to paint the 2x4's satin black so they're not so noticible. The battery hold down frame got enough overlap on these new batteries to do it's job.

Attachments

Jake0147

You may need a heavier crossover cable to connect the two batteries...
Thermal Overcrank Protection. :)

Actually, the wire will probably do just fine even though it's underspec'ed for sure. It's the terminations (and their interface with said wire) that are going to be the weak link. They're a good field repair to get you home, but not really a finished repair get you back out to the field.
It might be fine for hobby use in a good climate with an engine that starts easily, but it does bear watching closely. The melted end of that terminal will be hot enough to burn right through the top of a battery when it drops.

renovate7

When I bought these I was charged $9 per battery as a core charge. I took the original military batteries (6TM?) to a scrap yard and got 24 cents a pound. The old batteries were 74 lbs each so I got $35.50 for the pair!

poppop

I use group 24's in all my trucks but I really like the stainless thread stud type. They are so much earsier to work with and a lot better connection. Also less corroision and easier to clean. Most Mv's have the bolt on clamp so just remove the clamp and bolt the cable straight to the battery stud. I know, not orginal but an improvement to me.

Akicita

When I checked out the truck I eventully bought, the military batteries wouldn't crank. We jump started the Deuce from another truck for the test drive. The seller installed two new 12V "car" batteries prior to the sale. I have used these same batteries without a problem since. Considering how much easier it is to get them, and to install them, I'm not unhappy that my Deuce has regular car batteries. I can walk into any automotive supplies store and buy replacement car batteries when I need them. No ordering in advance and waiting for the battery shipment to arrive required.

[...]
The seller installed two new 12V "car" batteries prior to the sale. I have used these same batteries without a problem since. [...]
Same here. I use two normal 70 Ah 12V car batteries for 5 years now. Don't even know the brand. Summer and winter, never had a problem.
Like the poster, I build a wooden rack into the battery case, so the smaller batteries sit firmly in there.

Cheers,
Mark

KRaiskio

I was thinking of doing something similar to keep the slide out box. Ended up opting for a different route. Welded in a tray and have room for 3 batteries now. I plan on adding a 12v side so that will be the 3rd batt.

Attachments

maxxplanck

I pulled out my batteries and box the other day , need to change both out ( Deka 6LT are old and won't hold a charge and the battery box is rusted out ). New battery box should be here Monday. And I bought a set of Duralast Gold 65-DLG from Autozone. 3 year free replacement and a 5 year after that prorated ( not bad ). 850 @ CCA / 1000 @ CA at 32 degrees. Reserve of 150. My deuce loves them starts right up on a cold morning here in Michigan. Price was $210 for both and 10% off for being a veteran

Last edited:

dabtl

Replacing the battery to battery crossover cable after installing store bought batteries for the deuce led to Stalwart suggesting to me that using welding cable with pre-soldered plugs to attach the cable ends was the way to go. He even provided a vendor website for the plugs which included a video of how to solder the ends to the wire.

Terminal Solder Slugs

I followed the directions but rather than wait for the plugs, I used solder wire from Ace Hardware, cut to length with MANY pieces in the terminal end. Worked fine!