• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripped winch bolt and fluid levels.

joshs1ofakindxj

Some rocket surgeon stripped one of the four 1/2" bolts on the top of my winch that holds that top piece of channel with the data plates on it to the winch.

When looking at the front of the truck, it is the rear right bolt (driver side of truck, closest to driver).

Does anyone know if there is enough material in this location that I can drill and tap for the next largest bolt. Chasing the threads won't cut it. I haven't tore into one of these units so I don't know how the internals look.

Also, since the winch only has drain and fill plugs and no inspection plugs, is the SOP for maintaining the fluid level to drain and measure how much you refill based on lubrication order numbers, or is there a truck to checking the level visually through the fill plug.

Thanks.

treeguy

The LO TM will tell you how much lube to use. Some guys will use corn head grease by John Deere as a substitue because the thinner gear oil will find its way out (leak). Google corn head grease, I'll be going that route in the future, its also good for the steering gear.

As for the stripped bolt, there is lots of meat all around the hole, (aluminum) but I'm not sure of the depth. You can't use the coiled thread repair things? If the other 3 bolts are good, you should be able to use the thread repairs, the plate just looks good in my opinion. The winch halves are already fixed to the winch bumper frame mounts, and like I said, if the other 3 are good then I wouldn't freak if that one isn't perfect.2cents

joshs1ofakindxj

Haha well I wouldn't be having such an issue with this bolt if it wasn't on the front of the truck where I have to look at it and be reminded every time I walk by. :shock:

Thanks for the grease link. I noticed someone has been into my winch and there is permetex hanging out of the seal areas. Things look a little wet in a few places, but not really leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks