• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strongest pulling point?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets say that I wanted to yank something out of the ground or pull something very heavy. Which would be stronger/safer to pull from, the pintle or the two rear rings behind the bumperettes or even the two front rings going in reverse?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are too many unknown variables to answer the question. What is it (exactly)you are trying to accomplish?

dc3coyote

:ditto:
but things are different every time almost every truck I have owned has pulled better in Reverse, except for my Pinz which pulls better going forward because of the weight distribuition

dmetalmiki

pintle strength

the hooook! on the back of the m35 is for towing (obviousely!) and trailers up to?? 22000lbs can be pulled..(drawbar "tug" = 7ton ) the fastnings behind the b/retts are just that...tie downs for shipping. fronts..same. lifting eyes. ( to which the a frame is (can be used) for recovery. drawber pull IS better (more effective) in pulling (some) trees etc out. (I have and did) than the front winch. (if fitted) and yes someone HAS (actually) pulled a tank! .....................with a j e e p!!

Jones

Pintle hook for a straight pull. Often, the differential doesn't like pulling in reverse so forward is always the preferred direction.
Pulling something up out of the ground... tree stump, land anchor, treasure chest... ? Still the pintle hook with one small trick thrown in; get yourself something round and solid like a log, and slightly smaller in diameter than the distance from the pintle hook to the ground. Attach your chain or cable to the buried object and shove the log up against it so that the chain or cable runs up and over it then to the pintle hook. The idea is to let the log act as a pulley so that when you pull forward the log changes the horizontal pull to a vertical lift. The reasion for wanting something smaller in diameter is so that when you pull, the load tends to pull the rear of the truck down, and doesn't lift the rear end off the ground, losing traction.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the pintle hook? I was thinking of like a big downed tree in the road and/ora tree stump out of the ground. How hard can I yank before something on the truck breaks or bends?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
vtach said:
So the pintle hook? I was thinking of like a big downed tree in the road and/ora tree stump out of the ground. How hard can I yank before something on the truck breaks or bends?
Depends on your means of connection. I use a 6" recovery strap and and get up to about a 20' run before the strap tightens. Thus far nothing on the truck has broken or bent. I'd not try that with a chain or cable.

54reo

Be careful of a strap pulling through the pintle jaws if there is any slop in the pintle. A shackle in the pintle, with the sling attached to the shackle would prevent this.

I only mention it, because I've heard of this happening.

Jakob

Recovry4x4 said:
vtach said:
Depends on your means of connection. I use a 6" recovery strap and and get up to about a 20' run before the strap tightens. Thus far nothing on the truck has broken or bent. I'd not try that with a chain or cable.
This should be STRESSED! If you're yanking something out, do not use a cable or chain, it'll become a deadly whip when it breaks... not IF it breaks. Use a recovery strap as stated, whatever you're using to pull with, put something over it in the middle. Think saddlebags... a heavy jacket draped over; two sandbags, brake rotors/drums, etc that are tied together. That way, if it does break, it'll pull the slack down instead of letting it fly.

FreightTrain

Banned
You can use a chain safely.But to do so you gotta make sure no one is within the full length of the chain and run the chain though an old tire so if it does break the tire will act like a inertial anchor.Many people have been killed in jeeps and open/soft topped vehicles when the chain/cable scatters and slaps them in the back of the skull.One of my trucks has the tale tale signs of this happening to the tail gate.There is a line of evenly spaced dents running up and over the tailgate.Takes a massive impact to dent the tailgates of these trucks.

Capt.Marion

Your truck ain't got enough power to break or bend anything frame wise. If you get a running start, however, and that stump or whatever's really in the ground and ain't about to move, you will do some damage.

Jones

Getting to know the various recovery manuals and a book on rigging; then practicing what you read is smart insurance. NONE of this stuff is "safe" but you can and should do everything possible to minimize the hazard. The military uses a recovery strap (AKERS) to get tanks and other armor out and the instructions state, over and over, that they are ONLY to be used with armor and that ALL crew members must be inside with all hatches closed. That means they figure the only adequete protection is a tank hull.
ALL chains and cables can break-- sometimes into several pieces. Straps are more resilient but won't stand being strained across sharp edges.
Before you start to pull, re-check EVERYTHING you've rigged. "Aw, it'll never happen" is for dummies.

steelandcanvas

Jones said:
Getting to know the various recovery manuals and a book on rigging; then practicing what you read is smart insurance. NONE of this stuff is "safe" but you can and should do everything possible to minimize the hazard. The military uses a recovery strap (AKERS) to get tanks and other armor out and the instructions state, over and over, that they are ONLY to be used with armor and that ALL crew members must be inside with all hatches closed. That means they figure the only adequete protection is a tank hull.
ALL chains and cables can break-- sometimes into several pieces. Straps are more resilient but won't stand being strained across sharp edges.
Before you start to pull, re-check EVERYTHING you've rigged. "Aw, it'll never happen" is for dummies.
:ditto: Good response Jones. There is an FM 20-22 that should answer some of his questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks