• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Me

gglithox

Have 86 M1028 that ran like a swiss watch. I am installing a Western plow and while drilling a hole in the passenger side frame for plow mount I drilled the lower fuel line. I have replaced the damaged fuel line with a section of rubber fuel line and now truck will not start. Truck starts for a few seconds and then acts like it runs out of fuel. Any suggestions please?

K9Vic

See if there are bleeders on the fuel filters and if so crank it over until you get a steady stream of diesel. I assume it is a diesel.
Be sure you disconnect the pink wire on the IP and only crank it for no more the 10 seconds at a time resting at least 30 seconds before cranking it again.

gglithox

Thanks guys, tried your suggestions and still no luck. Pulled pink wire from IP, used Warthog's trick with the tube and bottle, cranked three 10 second cycles waiting 30 seconds in between cranks (solid stream of fuel each cycle, about a quart of fuel pumped total) closed the bleeder valve and tried to start truck. Truck ran for about 8-10 seconds and cut out like out of fuel. Do you think I bleed the fuel filter long enough?

gglithox

It appears that the fuel line I drilled thru and repaired is the Fuel Return Line. Does this still mean I have air in the lines?

K10A

MY easy way to do it is remove all the glow plugs and crack all the injector nuts and crank away. Thats how I did it when I had air in the lines.

WARWAG

You need to bleed the system. Look. It ran like a champ before you introduced air into the system viw the drilled fule line. Also as someone else sated you may have introduced some debris into the system as well. This I doubt but "could" also be another problem. You definately have air in the system and you need to get that air out before you will once again have a nice running engine.

CROM

Thanks guys, tried your suggestions and still no luck. Pulled pink wire from IP, used Warthog's trick with the tube and bottle, cranked three 10 second cycles waiting 30 seconds in between cranks (solid stream of fuel each cycle, about a quart of fuel pumped total) closed the bleeder valve and tried to start truck. Truck ran for about 8-10 seconds and cut out like out of fuel. Do you think I bleed the fuel filter long enough?
It sounds like you've already bled the system. If this didn't work, you may have air deep enough in the system that you didn't bleed it long enough? Maybe try to bleed some more, but only in short bursts with plenty of rest for the starter in between. If you want to save your starter, you can manually bleed the system at which ever point you want with a vacuum pump or a brake bleeder (hand pump). I've had to use the hand pump in the past to get the system to bleed because the air-lock was so bad.