• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surplus Deuces going bye bye

jollyroger

Hey, from the start I said for all that money, it would be worth making it an island vegas state.

While that does sound good on paper, I'm not so sure it actually could be done.
I thought we already went down that road........Cuba.

I really like the nice even number of stars on Ol' Glory. I really don't want to see that change.

OK. So make it a territory so we don't have to keep going to their freaking "rescue". How many times have we "helped" them out over the past 20 years? I know that HIV and AIDS has wiped out the country so the average age is 20 but can someone smarter than me create a sustainable plan to help them so we don't have to chew the same ground 20 times?

Somemedic

They supposedly dont have any heavy equipment there. They need some trucks and some dozers. GL seems to have more of that stuff still for sale. Get a deuce from GL or another private collector. Theres folks in Haiti who need water and food and they need a truck to get it there. You wanna begrudge some hungry kid the means for transporting needed supplies so you can joy ride and run parades?

Not to begin the flame war but its what it amounts to. Not saying we all should go donate back the trucks we have for every disaster but its nice to see these trucks still have use instead of being scraped or sold off to foreign govts. ya know?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Well, from experience, anything left on an island tends to stay on that Island. I saw a M923 With Winch in Hawaii go for under $3000 today and it was a good looking truck. I also visited Ft. Stewart this past week and they had 10 M35A3's still in their MATES lot, pristine condition code "A" along with probably 30 A2's also in really good shape. When will the trucks run out? That's anybodies' guess. Are there still more coming? All signs point to yes.

Bottom line is....yes to the above. How many...only the CARNAC knows.

I had thought about putting out another thread on this subject since the newbie deuce salesman in December tried to tell everyone the sky is falling and wanted you to buy his high priced deuces. Should you try to get one this year...yes. Do I still think there are enough out there to have the prices come down to what they were last year....yes. Are we still at a low rate of sales for deuces....yes. Why is this....a bunch of bozo's couldn't pull their collective heads out of their butts to formulate and pass a budget and the head clown didn't sign it very fast. So shipping money was non-exsistent and some of the contract employees used to load/unload/process the paperwork were laid off for anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Add to this the radiation scare BS. So yep, we've had a hic-up. Things should get back to the normal flood soon and I suspect March, maybe April. So I wouldn't suggest going out and buying a $5K M35A2 yet.

Of course, GL could create another BS reason to stop sales to allow the prices to jack up again.

And again, it is way too early for this administration to have even thought about sending 40 year old trucks down to Haiti. Even if they did, the donation of that equipment would still have to go through a long process and the focus would not be to send these 40 year old trucks as a first response. Everyone should take a step back think about this and then come back to the table. Let's wait and see on this.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have said that right off, there is no way the government moved that fast to donate old trucks. They would send a boatload of new Internationals and CATs before they sent old stuff.

croftonaviation

They supposedly dont have any heavy equipment there. They need some trucks and some dozers. GL seems to have more of that stuff still for sale. Get a deuce from GL or another private collector. Theres folks in Haiti who need water and food and they need a truck to get it there. You wanna begrudge some hungry kid the means for transporting needed supplies so you can joy ride and run parades?

Not to begin the flame war but its what it amounts to. Not saying we all should go donate back the trucks we have for every disaster but its nice to see these trucks still have use instead of being scraped or sold off to foreign govts. ya know?
No one here is saying don't help them out. I think people are worried over long term solutions. I am way more worried over the probably billions of dollars that will be pumped into hatti over the next say 5 years. If I though 100 deuce's would fix there problems I would say heck go for it. But that country is going to end up being Somolia, Burma, and katrina all rolled up into one ball of problems times 100. and we are going to end up paying for it. I know this is not a political site and I will respect that, but explain to me the smarts of borrowing money with interest from one country to give it to another? Were not even co-signing a loan here. We, meaning you and I the taxpayers are going to be on the hook for this one. It's time we start helping them up not out if they are so inclined. If they don't want to better themselves (which I will let you judge what history says about that) were just wasting time after the initial cleanup. Forget trucks just send them all the trailers from GSA left over from Katrina, It would be a better home than most of those people have had in years.

saddamsnightmare

January 22nd, 2010.

It seems that Haiti has never had much luck, not in 1804 and surely not in 2010. Yet Santo Domingo, on the other half of the island is a going concern....Go figure. The Stuart tank was a cool item to restore, was the engine(s) a Cadillac 750CID unit?
As to Haiti being the 51st, 52nd, or 53rd state, I believe Washington,D.C. fully believes that it deserves statehood, then we have Puerto Rico in line too.... Sometimes I believe D.C. is pretty close to a failed city-state given what seems to go on there frequently, and in Puerto Rico a U.S. Citizen cannot qualify for a National Park Service job unless fluent in Spanish???? I thought we took the place over in 1898..... so what's with that?

In any case, the talking heads will keep public discourse focused on Haiti, untill something more interesting and immediate turns up, so what's next on the play list? It is unfortunate that nothing better or more permanent will result from all this concern, but the rebuilding could do much for the economy, as the Marshell Plan did after WWII, if we could keep Halliburton/KBR and its political cronies out of it.

Just my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:confused:

Last edited:

broman78

I don't see a problem with the government giving X number of old out of commissioned trucks to a country in dire need of help. You have to remember to much is given much is expected. The money we spend in Haiti will be drop in the bucket to compared to Afghanistan or Iraq.

greenjeepster

A 52nd state? Do we already have a 51st state?
Yeah...Puerto Rico.

My solution to preventing the fed from donating billions in borrowed dollars is to pay the bill up front... My wife and I have donate to several relief organizations to benefit Haiti. We can sit back and let the government send the needed cash or we can take action, foot the bill privately, and reduce the amount the fed has to send.

Either way our money is going to go there to help them out... That is the type of nation we are. We do have a choice on how it gets there though.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

My concern with this is that nothing has, or will, change with that country. I would rather send money to Germany, Japan, UK, or many other nations if there was a disaster. They would be devastated, and would need help getting back on their feet, much like us with 9-11, or Katrina.

Unfortunately, with Haiti, last year they were a poor, starving people who did nothing to help themselves. If we send billions and build up their country, they will still be poor, starving people who don't help themselves, and they will be that way in 10 years.

Send help to dig them out and look for survivors (we are pretty much past that point now), maybe give some short term cleanup help, then get out. While our own country is on the edge of bankruptcy is no time to foot the bill of another country. Call me cold, but no amount of money will make a difference, so keep it here. If times were good here, and we had a financial surplus, I would probably feel different.

Jim

Cantrade

Ferroequinologist,

This is off topic, sorry. I see you are plannig an Alaska driving trip this year. You might consider going to Inuvik in the NW Territories instead of to Prudhoe Bay. I worked at Prudhoe for over 20 years and have a few suggestions.
1. The major oil companies stop all traffic shy of the Artic Ocean and the only way you can get out there is with a commercial tour.
2. The haul road from Fairbanks to Deadhourse in the summer can be a real mess. Dust, bugs and lots of semi traffic on a narrow road.

The Dempster Highway from Dawson City to Inuvik is 500 miles of gravel road with only one service facility at Eagle Plains. The Canadians know much more about managing dirt/gravel roads than we do and it is easy to make 50-55 mph. Traffic mostly is tourists (not many). There are two river crossings--The Artic Red and the Peel rivers. Government boats make crossing possible for a small fee.

Inuvik is a small town but has lots of things like places to stay and services. Not so at Deadhorse, AK.

I drove this highway back in the 1990s with a Cummins Dodge and a pick-up bed camper. We had a great time and was totally surprised at the level of campgrounds offered by the Canadians.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread. :grin:

greenjeepster

You are a cold, cold man Jim. Must be those northern NH winters;)

The problem we have with your philosophy is their proximity to the coast of Florida. If we do not get them back to some reasonable standard of living we will have 10 million Haitians swimming towards Florida, litterally. Our history shows that there is not enough money in the world to prevent illegal imigration so we have to do what we can to keep them where they are.

I see a very good outcome from this disaster. Sure it will cost money, but in the end they will have a country (or state) that actually has a good foundation to build off of.

greenjeepster

Has Venezuela and Chavez offered any help to Haiti? I doubt it!
Yes..two ship loads of food and water, (616 thousand tons) 1 oil tanker of gas and diesel (213,000 barrels), 116 000 tons of heavy equipment, and several teams of medical and search rescue personnel. Cuba has sent aid as well.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks