• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Teach me about the 6.5 diesel engine

M1008driver

I have been doing a search and only found various information.

I am wanting to learn about the 6.5 diesel engine in my M1008. Mainly the newer improved "high performance" redesigned block and heads. Does it fit without major mods, turbo centermounted or sidemounted , non-turbo, etc?

I also want to keep the 24 volt starter system. What about the trans?. No, I do not want a Cummins.

Any ideas or comments on a plan of action? I am learning for a future project or upgrade. If I do it I want it to be right the first time.

EDIT- when I mention high performance I am looking for long term reliability...

Last edited:

nattieleather

Your truck should have a 6.2 liter diesel in it unless someone changed it to a 6.5. The 6.2 and the 6.5 are the same engine. Just .3 liter displacement increase. You should be able to drop a 6.5 right into your truck with little to no modifications.

The turbo 6.5 is side mounted on the passinger side. The new 6.5s that are on the market have been redsigned to have a stronger block and better heads etc. I understand they are a good motor.

As for transmissions you could swap in a improved 700r4 to get overdrive or a 4L80E but you will need to get an electronic controller. Any transmission swap will require some modifications to the truck. Do a search on here for 700r4 swap and 4L80E and you'll get a lot of information. Also do a search for 6.5 motor and you'll also get a lot of good information.

M1008driver

Your truck should have a 6.2 liter diesel in it unless someone changed it to a 6.5. The 6.2 and the 6.5 are the same engine. Just .3 liter displacement increase. You should be able to drop a 6.5 right into your truck with little to no modifications.

The turbo 6.5 is side mounted on the passinger side. The new 6.5s that are on the market have been redsigned to have a stronger block and better heads etc. I understand they are a good motor.
That's kind of what I was looking for and thought. My TH400 trans is fine with me. My thinking is the first major repair that comes up I might make the swap. Reliability with a stronger block and better heads is what I want.

I don't even need a turbo though it is looking like the way to go, was just learning about one since a engine swap would be the time to do it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the www.TheDieselPage.com for alot of GOOD information on the 6.2L and 6.5L along with the Duramax.

They have a booklet of articles that they have written over the years. It is copywrited or I would post it here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks