• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Technical Assistance for leaking IP on M1008

goldneagle

I found out today that my IP is leaking fuel. My mechanic pinpointed it to a leaking seal around the throttle shaft where it goes into the IP. Does anyone know a inexpensive fix for this problem? Can the repair be done without removing the entire pump from the engine?

The pump still function fine. I drove it home from the shop without any issues.

Also has anyone bought a replacement starter for this engine from AMAZON? They have some good prices for replacement starters. $139.99 for one with a 2 year warranty. I also need a replacement flywheel.

I have the same problem. It's the throttle shaft seal. There is someone on this board who has replaced it without removing the IP. It's on my list, but to be honest, I probably just need to rebuild the whole thing. It's not a couple hour job either way. I feel your pain.

markg

i have done it without removing the ip. not a bad job. i had a core pump with good throttle shaft bushings. i did it about a year ago and i may have posted about it, i will look. thanks. mark

i did it on my v1500 civi truck with a jillion miles on it. you will need intake manifold gaskets, good luck! be careful with the ground strap bolt, its double nutted. when you get the intake off you'll find all the tools people have dropped before you laying under the pump!! replace the rubber fuel line while you are there.

you may not need a starter if it spins good when you do get a good bite , ive had some flywheels so bad that i would have to grab the fan belt and roll the motor by hand to find a remaining good spot. replace the starter drive when you do the flywheel. plenty of posts about that also. thanks. mark

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

On the starter, if you still have the original direct drive 27MT you're much better off getting it rebuilt than taking a chance on an aftermarket gear reduction. Many of them fail prematurely. The direct drive is very heavy duty, it will last for 6 years constant use between rebuilds.

goldneagle

On the starter, if you still have the original direct drive 27MT you're much better off getting it rebuilt than taking a chance on an aftermarket gear reduction. Many of them fail prematurely. The direct drive is very heavy duty, it will last for 6 years constant use between rebuilds.
I already ordered the gear reduction one from AMAZON.COM. I will keep the current one in stock and see if I can rebuild it. The one I bought has a 2 year warranty. Was $139.99 with free shipping.

Hasdrubal

A few choice quotes from other members experience ; There have been many reports of some import starters that are not worth more than scrap value. / Lifetime warranties are great but only if the warranty will also go and lay down in a field and replace it when it craps out on you. Don't hold your breath.Those "new" starters aren't worth squat. / I'm all too familiar with the starters on e-gay that are new. They are new but they are chinese pieces of crap! Better off to buy a used original and have it rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing. / I just installed a new 28Mt starter yesterday after the original one wore out, from an outfit on ebayl. The truck started up great the first few times. But then when I was out late last night, went to start it for the trip home, solenoid clicks, no motor. Had to tow it home.

Last edited:

markg

Still looking for help in fixing leaking IP.
I can tell how i did it but you will need a replacement shaft. i have a couple of core pumps so i had a used shaft. the shaft i replaced had 300k miles on it(my v1500 civi truck) ,ran good but leaked bad. i took a gamble on the used one i had coming from a low milage military truck. since i had the core i was able to see how eveything went when removing the shaft from the core. this helps greatly. i would start there. thanks
mark