• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Teletypewriter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That tty was the mainstay of communications during the entire cold war period, like 1950s until the 1970s. In the US they were called TT-98. Every Ratt Rig (radio teletype) had two of them in a shelter on the back of 3/4, 5/4, or 2 1/2 ton trucks. Nice find!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome find. They used them on ships as well on the floor model (not green). It is how we sent Telegrams back to the states. I had to go to the Comm Center and fill out a card to sent comms back to my wife.

I had a floor model I picked up from one of my customers for quite a few years.

HDN

So first, I've never paid any attention to this board before, so this is nice!

Second, what does one have to do to get two of these to talk to each other? I want to get two now! Maybe that'll let me justify getting a pair of M109A3s or something :p

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So first, I've never paid any attention to this board before, so this is nice!

Second, what does one have to do to get two of these to talk to each other? I want to get two now! Maybe that'll let me justify getting a pair of M109A3s or something :p
A telephone circuit (pair of wires). WD-1A will work. WD-1 originated in the US Civil War and was used by telegraph operators. The teletype machines allowed a typist to send messages without the training to send AND receive text.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks