• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The FFS thread…

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Starting the FFS thread.

Thread of the unexpected, the unwelcome, the less than enjoyable. Feel free to join in one and all.

Todays slice of Heaven… Simple job gone bad.

In my case, rear axle removal gone sideways on my 1995 Hummer.

I need to remove and replace my rear axles with the correct 12k units. Wrong units came with her as placed by PO. Some genius upgraded the hubs to 12k but then used wrong inner axle flange units.

No problems pulling the E-Brake. No problems pulling the hub sided bolt. Five differential sided bolts came out easily.

Last bolt head rounded off/stripped. 🙄🙄🙄

Now removal will need to wait till Sunday. I gotta go to a course tomorrow, and light has faded today. I’ll go to local Ace Hardware and purchase a few washers and nuts and then use some flux core in my mig to attach. Should both restore socket/ratchet purchase and heat soak the bolt.

I’ll of course first try vice grips and propane torch, but my truck’s diff armor makes that a long shot.

Another simple job gone annoying.

FFS!!!🤦‍♂️

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bolt is out.

New FFS issue.

Differential armor plate is so wide it prevents axle from dropping. The plate is attached to standard ladder protection. The plate is bent up from PO prior expeditions.

I don’t like this plate. Anything that prevents quick trail repairs is bad. My plasma cutter will trim it down. It doesn’t need to be so wide.

Stuck bolt is out. Once half shaft is out I will have pictures for selecting proper half shafts.

More pics to follow. It’s dark now.

IMG_7771.jpegIMG_7772.jpegIMG_7768.jpegIMG_7770.jpeg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a 12K inner (plunge) end to me, there is more than one inner 12K plunge end, the others are for later model trucks.

The A2 12K trucks use the same drive flanges as the Basic/A1 10K trucks.

Is it possible you are trying to fit the wrong ( ECV/REV) half shafts?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes mog. That’s what the original owner did. I’m now going back to replace with proper parts with the help of RWH.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FFS!!!

Loosened axle after pulled out last offending bolt, undercarriage protection in the way. I cut some lateral steel plate, hoping that would be enough.

Nope! Ladder bar is several millimeters too wide. Gotta drop the f’ing ladder bar.

I’ll try jacking up the vehicle to drop the axle lower BUT I have low expectations.

I will NOT be reinstalling that damned ladder bar.
IMG_7860.jpegIMG_7854.jpegIMG_7865.jpeg