• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Move Saga.

dmetalmiki

So I wish to move to a new location some 200 miles away as it is FAR too difficult working on my own with all my vehicles. I have friends with Good barn space and storage, where many military collectors (therefore)helpers Hang out., and I would be closer to a new variety of rallies and shows.
I decide to send the F350 Ambulance first..(HA! but Let's make all the space in back usable space) So..The Moto Guzzi Army Motorcycle, plus ALL the workshop manuals two generators and more miscalaniouse stuiff go in back of that F350.Ambulance. Well a good friend of many years and a Firm BELTRING ( show site/ rally) fan offers to drive it to the new location in the barnHe rents with co-hobbyists.(where there are allready some 30 vehicles!). OK the night before , Chin wags over russian beers, general stuff reminissing over past events.. Next morning he sets off. ( Jeep behind on A bar) M/C in the back.I convoy him to the nearest motorway and off he goes for the remaining leg to the barn storage. An hour later, yes THE dreaded phone call "im broken down on the Motorway 80 miles from you". AGGGGHHHH! (tremble tremble) I ring My son..KK he says, I will help. So, with 4 batteries 3 cans of ether Two sets of jump leads leads spanners loaded on board my car ..& Ho Ho off we go!. NOW GET THIS. we are driving to the scene of the breakdown (knowing the driver friend has gone for some Fodder( Food!)) and as we are on a bypass approaching near to the breakdown location, HE COMES OF THE SLIP ROAD right in front of me! (in his friends support wrangler) Co- Incidence or what? So we arrive at the F350.. it's batteries flat and check fuel. WATER! Well to cut a long story shorter, MUCH bleeding (and pumping of the EXTRA manual priming fuel pump (thankfully fitted by me as an addition)) and we seem to have all the water out. Well it runs as long as we squirt ether, But Jumper batteries are going flat ,the can of either I put on the floor blows onto the motorway BIG TRUCK! squish! that's that..nerves tension heart attack potential 8-10! Motorway cops arrive.. YOU are parked the wrong way round on a motorway (my car was jumping the ambulance from the front of course but Hidden in front of the F350 from traffic actually) The other cop comments "yeah course he's trying to jump start the thing!" Anxiety rising! It AIN'T trying to go start! So,More ether and we get it running FAST on the stuff, THEN! WHAM Smoke ,steam ,knocks, Fa.ts, "We have lift off"!!. My Lad keeps it reving till the c..p clears..It settles down to a purr..(anxiety level drops 1/2%.) (cop now pretending we ain't there) YOU GOING? sez he..BET YA! say's I..Yet Again my friend sets off and we follow him to the next service station..I add 10 gallons of deisel to the contam, (which it runs on nicely the same mix as on all my trucks) It's now running well. (phew..tension down another 1/2%! And we all agree the rear tank with the water contamination in must not be swithced over or used.. My trepidouse friend now heads off down the highway..We drive back home..Phone ringing when I go in the house..OH NO thinks I..But thankfully He has actually arrived at the barn location before we got back home. RE..LEEEF! or what. So now The ambulance Motor Guzzi and stuff safely enscossed in the new "home" in the barn workshop. I will post pictures of that and our next delivery ( 3 down 7 still to go!) when those moves take place. (Barn? well actually aircraft hanger, exellent floors roof lights electrics. Ideal.)

Attachments

Last edited:

jwaller

I think I understood about half that. glad I watch top gear, the half I got is thanks to jeremy, capt slow and the hamster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks