• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the XM971 "command camper" build

Tornadogt

i have seen them in campers, but from the git-go on this project, a toilet was not a facter.. i did not want to deal with black water, and the extra plumbing.. and this will have more of a command center use, then as a camper.. so i wanted as much open floor space as i could.. the shower is in the back corner, and it is not in a bathroom, it will open into the main room.. but i will have a curtain to pull across so you have "some" privacy..
I ran this bye the Girlfriend all I got was rolled eyes and a NO.. I guess we will need a toilet... :-D

quickfarms

Last edited:

jdknech

awesome man! thanks... and just a fyi to everyone, Matt has been VERY VERY helpful with this project! i would still be standing in the middle of the trailer scratchin my head trying to figure out where to start, if not for him..

RAYZER

Nice! Off to a good start!
I really like all the room in that trailer, 35' long right?
You mentioned that you were going to install a window ac, will that go up front? Will you install one in the back also?

RAYZER

Add a porta potti in the shower stall or look at Restop. I use the Restop products for mid night pee trips when I do not eat to get dressed to go to the campground bathroom of use the portable toilet.

Sealand makes a marine toilet that has a builtin 9 gallon holding tank

http://www.dometic.com/enie/Interna...scharge-Toilets/products/?productdataid=96282
I agree with quickfarms.
A toilet is a must In any camper build, imo.
Dealing with black water is a pain I know, but dealiing with a hot stinking portajon that hasn't been pumped out in three days and has been used a thousand times, makes doing anything ealse a better option!
:D

jdknech

On the A/C- I will put a small window unit in the front for the bedroom (5K-btu or so) and I picked up a portable A/C unit to use in the main room. It is 10K-btu, and only requires a 4" exhaust hole on the floor or wall.. And it's a dehumidifier as well. Hopefully 10K-btu can keep up with the demand ;) lol
As far as the crapper, there is room to add one if I desire later.. I left a nice "closet" between the shower, and the back wall.. A toilet would fit in there perfectly.. :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, good call! I'm reminded of the 7 P's-

Prior Proper Planning Provides for a Pissing Pot Post build. :cool:

I like it, can't wait to see it at Haspin! (I hope)

The more I see these large trailer camper builds, the more I want to do one, but then I can't pull my cool stuff to the rally and Angie would not like her M109 getting 'replaced'

jdknech

no pics of this weekends work, (nothing really to show..)

I started out the work with a trip to the local ER.. I decided that I didn't need my left pointer finger anymore, and tried to cut it off with a VERY sharp razer knife.. (in other words, i was cutting some foam, and the knife slipped) the finger should be ok, the Doc said I will have a nasty scar, but nothing lasting.. (thankfully)

but after we got back (Matt drove me to the ER) we got a couple hours work into the camper.. we installed a 100A single phase main breaker box, and ran 90% of the wireing.. next step is the ceiling, and plumbing..
its getting to be crunch time!! one month to haspin!! :shock:

RAYZER

The floor that I left origional in mine, I painted with grey rustolium topside paint, its durable and shiny, you can spruce it up that way!

jdknech

that would be a option, but the floor in mine is a laminate floor, and it is breaking apart, and is pealing up... and the last 7' of the trailer is a metal plate.. as is the front step deck.. so that makes the flooring a bit more fun.. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks