• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things done wrong

Barrman

I got my Gasser M35's in 2006. Spent most of 2007 and 2008 building one solid good truck out of 2-1/2 trucks. The frame and all body work except the hood and bed were all done by May 2008.

I found a straight rust free hood in February 2009. Thanks Warthog. I had to sand and paint it. By the time I got that done, a M35 Whistler, several trailers and a pair of M1009's occupied all of my time. Then, along came a USAF Suburban and Scouts and just life.

I also got a straight non drop side bed from Joe in December 2009. Due to its size, it got sanded and painted right away. Installed on the Gasser too. I just never had the time to put the fresh hood on. It sat over lapping the front end of my sitting way too many years 1957 MGA. All covered up and fresh.

Yesterday was the day to finally put the hood on. Colton and I removed the old one, switched over some of the hardware and bolted on the fresh painted stuff I did have spares of. We also swapped in some fresh hinges that I had done the OD Iron bushing to years ago. I even got the right ones on the right side.

The reason you had to read all of the above is the main point. Don't wait 4 years after painting the truck to put a freshly painted hood on it. It will look goofy. Another lesson is don't leave a hood sitting flat for 3 years. It will spread out. Leaving a large gap between the side covers and the hood. I imagine the Texas sun will fade the hood the way the 2 year old bed has. I hope being supported by the hinges will let the sides droop back down.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

It dosnt look THAT goofy...It reminds me of an actual army truck when it got a new part put on [thumbzup]

Ever seen a tan truck with a green hood? lol. :beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman, keep that up and I will stop sending parts your way.:doghead:

waayfast

HHHMMMM!!?? I dunno--kinda has that " that's the way they are supposed to look" look.

Nice job --makes me get motivated to do something with my USMC truck in the back yard.

Jim

Barrman

I have been talked into using both running Dueces to haul people between the airport and the fairgrounds this weekend. The powers that be in the city want to do an Armed forces day fly over, flag ceremony and taps at the airport. Meanwhile, the county fair is going on 2 miles away. No parking at the airport. My Scouts are doing the flags and bugles, so I was asked to haul people too. Once they said "We will top off your tanks with aviation fuel when done." I said yes as casually as I could.

We did the hood, bled the brakes and fixed a flat inner rear dual yesterday. We also took down all the camping stuff in the Whistler, removed the top and bows to get that truck ready. Tonight we put the hood numbers on the Gasser to finish it out 4 years later. If it doesn't rain that is.

Well, not really finished. I still need to cover the seats with something besides a hotel shower mat that somehow ended up coming home with me a few years ago.

I keep thinking about how nice it would be to have 50 gallons of 100LL fuel in that tank. The OA331 will probably run much better. Doubt it will get more than 5mpg, but it will be better set for sitting until the next event. Jet A should make the Whistler smoke less too.

Chris, I still post here. I just can't get on here as many times during the day as I used to. So, by the time I read a question somebody else has normally given the correct answer and there is no need for me to jump in to say it again.

Oh, I haven't touched the 396 yet. I have 2 possible 6.2 engines at the house and I haven't had a chance to even try firing them up to see which one is going to be the new M715 power source. Maybe when it gets furnace hot here I will have time. I will give a detailed posting about what I find whenever I do find out something. I sure miss driving that truck though. It would have been perfect to have last weekend at the Airshow in Temple and would be great for moving people that can't climb into a M35 this weekend. Maybe next year.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks better than my MERDC M185 with the 383 hood and front bumper!
(Came out of the Army that way, ugly as sin, but runs great).

Cheers

spicergear

Looks good anyway Tim! Lot of hard work there! 100LL? That engine will put half that power out the exhaust pipe! We run our Pratt & Whitney R2800's on that stuff at work! The one is only 2,500hp. :wink:

Barrman

Hmm, got a text last night from the fair people saying my trucks could not be used in any way shape or form due to insurance reasons. Then a text from the airport people wanting my trucks as part of a static display. No AVGAS. Oh well.

I didn't get the hood numbers on either. We actually have rain.

I did get enough time to pull the carb on the 396. The intake was full of water. The carb was dry, the air filter was dry and the radiator was almost full with pressure released when I pulled the cap. I am thinking cracked head, bad head gasket or bad intake gasket.

Attachments

spicergear

Wow Tim...that's sucks. You think its coolant? The 715's have a way of leaking at the back of the hood; might've found a way to the air filter??

Work at a testing lab in York. We hammer building envelope systems and curtain walls in my dept. The second pic was becomming a really bumpy ride as the ice will evenly build up on the near 14' diameter prop, then she'll shed the ice on one blade and it gets real out of balance. The P&W R2800 double wasps are tough as nails take a heck of a pounding. I've been running and keeping them up for a little over 4 years now.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hmm, got a text last night from the fair people saying my trucks could not be used in any way shape or form due to insurance reasons. Then a text from the airport people wanting my trucks as part of a static display. No AVGAS. Oh well.

I didn't get the hood numbers on either. We actually have rain.

I did get enough time to pull the carb on the 396. The intake was full of water. The carb was dry, the air filter was dry and the radiator was almost full with pressure released when I pulled the cap. I am thinking cracked head, bad head gasket or bad intake gasket.
What about a cracked intake at the water heat riser, this is right under the carb, if so you would see water where you see it

Barrman

That looks very interesting Tom. Thanks for the pictures.

I won't have all the pieces together for a replacement engine until August or so. I will pull it apart and try to figure out what killed the 396 then. Pictures and a full write up to follow in a few months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks