• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire pressure question

jadatis

OK the question is what we run in our tires, but I understood that you wanted to know that to determine your needed pressure in your tires.
And for that I need those data.

Mike82ndABN

It's a good thing that when the WWII paratroopers in my unit (82nd airborne) jumped into holland for operation market garden, you guys didn't need so much info to answer questions, they would have never been able to save your asses, lol.

jadatis

It's a good thing that when the WWII paratroopers in my unit (82nd airborne) jumped into holland for operation market garden, you guys didn't need so much info to answer questions, they would have never been able to save your asses, lol.
But now there is no hurry , so we can take the time get an answer wich others can use too.
You yust have to go to your vehicle and look at tires sidewall and vehicle and write it down and then give it here and I will do the rest.

You cant go from what others use , or it must be that you all have exactly the same vehicle with same weights and tires.

Will look back in the headmap of the forum , to see what this forum is all about, already understood its militairy. but is it about cars mainly, or are cars yust a small part of it?

Once we determined the pressure range to use , you dont have to have daubts about it.

gcbennet

I have a basic '85 M998 that almost never leaves hard stand. For better road mileage I inflate my 12-bolts to 35 psi in the summer, and 30 psi for better road traction when the snow starts flying.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 pages of posts for air pressure....LOL , really? Next someone going to ask what type of windex window cleaner they think is best for military glass.

jpg

3 pages of posts for air pressure....LOL , really? Next someone going to ask what type of windex window cleaner they think is best for military glass.
For newbies like me, tire pressure is an issue. The TMs say one thing. GM says another. The tire manufacturers say differently. And the TP painted on the side of the truck is different again. Too high in front invites Death Wobble on CUCV axles. Too low abuses the tires. There is noting listed on our door pillars.

I personally spent a lot of time looking for clear guidance on this. I finally gave up on finding clear documentation. I took the tire manufacturer's recommendations and did my own chalk test. It passed, and with those pressures and new kingpin springs I thought I had my death wobble fixed, at the cost of a much harsher ride. Then it happened again last night, while towing with my trailer at max load. I'm hoping some combination of shimming my kingpin springs and dropping front tire pressure a little will get me dialed in to a place where the Death Wobble doesn't happen ever.

This may seem obvious to you, but for newbies like me it can be a struggle.

Or perhaps you know and can enlighten us? How do you decide the air pressure for a CUCV? Is there a clear answer? Mine is an M1010, but we all need to know.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the HMMWV forum, not the CUCV forum...CUCV's "have owned about 4" all seem to like to drift if alignment is off, and even when not...so to answer your question....having owned more different types of trucks then I can count, both military and Civ, I have ALWAYS gone to the tire for required PSI. Where I set them is purely based on what I'm using the truck for. If I'm hauling loads, then yes, I'm going to go near max, but as a cruiser, I'm going to go somewhere not near max for a nicer ride.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For newbies like me, tire pressure is an issue. The TMs say one thing. GM says another. The tire manufacturers say differently. And the TP painted on the side of the truck is different again. Too high in front invites Death Wobble on CUCV axles. Too low abuses the tires. There is noting listed on our door pillars.

I personally spent a lot of time looking for clear guidance on this. I finally gave up on finding clear documentation. I took the tire manufacturer's recommendations and did my own chalk test. It passed, and with those pressures and new kingpin springs I thought I had my death wobble fixed, at the cost of a much harsher ride. Then it happened again last night, while towing with my trailer at max load. I'm hoping some combination of shimming my kingpin springs and dropping front tire pressure a little will get me dialed in to a place where the Death Wobble doesn't happen ever.

This may seem obvious to you, but for newbies like me it can be a struggle.

Or perhaps you know and can enlighten us? How do you decide the air pressure for a CUCV? Is there a clear answer? Mine is an M1010, but we all need to know.
and I'm not sure you count as a Newb....you have a join date of 2009 and 290 posts....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks